A step by step guide to building a 3 hook whiting rig.
1. Start with 48-inches of 60lb mono.
2. To one end tie on a Lead Link.
3. Slide on a rig crimp, a 3mm rig bead, a size 10 rolling rig swivel, another rig bead and a crimp. Repeat this sequence to give you three full sets of crimps, beads and swivels. Leave these all loose for now.
4. Complete the rig with a strong size 4 rolling swivel to connect to your shock leader.
5. The first hook trace swivel needs to be placed two inches above the lead link, the second hook trace swivel needs to be placed 24 inches above the lead link and the third needs to be placed 46 inches above the lead link.
6. Use 20/25lb Fluorocarbon or clear mono for the hook traces. The top hook trace needs to be the longest at 15-inches, the second hook trace measures 13-inches, and the bottom hook trace is the shortest at just 10-inches.
7. Slide on to each hook length a single luminous green bead no bigger than 5mm.
8. Finish the hook lengths by tying on a size 2 Kamasan B940 Aberdeen hook, or Sakuma equivalent.
This is a good all round whiting rig when casting close to medium range with some tide flow running.