• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

2 nights on the big pit

Had1

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
with the wind and tides wrong for weeks round my local spots i went down to a favourite lake of mine again carping and a bit of float fishing to keep me entertained waiting ...

the water is very cold still at this place compared to most lakes due to the depths upto 65 foot takes untill mid May even June to warm up and the fish moving properly again .
with that in mind I used bait sparingly and put only about 5 or 6 boilies over the top of each hookbait ... the carp would respond better to maggot and corn this time of year but impossible to use on here because of vast bream shoals and rudd roach and eels pecking everything instantly lol my little solid balls would have to do to leave a presentable bait out there long enough for slow Mr carp to find ...

watching others baiting up with kilos upon kilos and then wondering why they didn't get a sniff ?

anyway me and mate jon picked spots next door to each other although still 60 yards or so apart... we chose mainly based on the bank being at the back of the wind ... certainly not from a tactical point of view for catching but so that we were in a sun trap ? we were in t shirts in the sun in a micro climate and couple others we could see through binoculars on the other side were in full winter coats and hats haha good choice
Screenshot_20210418-173850.png

was lovely ...
1st evening just chucked out and wasn't expecting much as it's more of a day venue than night .. which is strange for carp lakes !! usually middle of the night most places for bites but here is more sociable hours luckily ...
so good night's kip without any bites to disturb and then in the morning put new rigs on and honed the points with a piece of sandstone... dont bother if sharp already usually but i made these razor as so slow every little percentage gained and all that ...

rambling on so catch wise cut short had 2 small commons about 14lbs and then this nice mirror about 16 caught from guess 90 yards out in roughly 20foot of water ..
had a few small rudd in the evenings but very slow all round even for them ..

my friend had an 18lbs common and same as last time from what we could gather we had the only action on the lake .. not that we are better just that people killed it for themselves the second they turned up by throwing loads of bait out that the fish simply can't digest in the temperatures ...

lovely to get away again into a little shut off world for 40 hours
nice bbq chicken drumsticks burgers and pepper n pork skewers...
back to reality now until nect time ...

Screenshot_20210419-182447.png

Nice, allways good to be by the water!

thanks ...hoping the wind changes soon on this coastline and can hit the bass ?
lazy comfort bivvy and bbq in the sun won the toss this time lol

Back