• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast 24 hours of jigging - Burning the candle at both ends.

CKB

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Shore:
I went out for a bait session last night and carried everything but the kitchen sink with me to a new mark. Of course, I had to take a lure rod and some jigs for a few casts before dark and to my surprise, every chuck with the 25G metals on the Century Graphex 10-40G rod, I was in to decent-sized black bream. The problem was, I had no drop net and lost many handlining, including a 5-6lb pollock that was in the mix, but, I was grateful a nice bass was landed safely. I brought the wrong camera lens, had the wrong settings, so the pics were a bit of a disaster. The session was some of the most exhilarating fishing I have ever had on jigs. Hard fighting, rod double up action, pure magic.

MeBass3.jpg

BB2.jpg

MeBass1.jpg

BassBad1.jpg
BB1.jpg
bassbream.jpg

Boat:
I've been mega burning the candle a both ends, I am again fishing addicted, I can't turn a tide down. I finished the conger session that followed the above jigging at about 2am, after a horrid walk, I fell asleep reeking of squid and mackerel as soon as my head hit the pillow, spine killing me. The next thing I know is my phone is ringing at 10:30am, it's Aaron calling me from the pub after a few pints, telling me he needs to check his lobster pots and asks if I fancy boat fishing?! At this point I was hobbling around the lounge with my calves sore as anything, bleary-eyed and with the posture of a 93-year-old. I thought for 2-3 seconds and said: I'll be at the pub in 10 mins to meet him. I put last nights clothes back on, had 3 slices of dry bread and grabbed 2 spinning rods and headed to meet him. I excited, not so much about another mate having my life jacket but, about the fish that may be caught. I was chomping at the bit, and as soon as we got on the water I dropped for bream with squid strip as bait and got a double shot. These weren't any size though, so we kept moving until I hooked a really nice couches bream, 2lb+ and it shook the hook 3 feet from the boat. I was again on the 10-40G rod and lapping up the sensation as I landed successive black bream and 10 or 12 mackerel. We reloaded Aarons pots and removed the 4 lobsters from 6 pots he'd laid. I was amazed to see a tompot blenny and a black bream in the pots. Next, we continued fishing and I lost a pollock of a couple of pounds, then landed one a similar size. I had a good bass on and Aaron managed to auto-release it by the boat, you never want him to try and land your fish, he was as gutted as me though. We kept moving around the island until we hit the south coast, the boat we were in is about 16ft or so, we could navigate amongst the rocky islets and reefs. I then had a ballan with a lovely red white colouring. Next up we spotted an old neglected lobster pot that hadn't been checked in a year, it had all sorts growing on the buoy. I told Aaron to haul it up and it took two of us to lift it, it was full of edible crabs, with some in size. Aaron was sorting it out and I began casting again, hooking 3 bass in 3 casts, one in size. The neat thing was that we put the pot back down, not to get more crabs but, as a marker for the bass spot, for future reference, we don't use GPS here. Last spot of the day we fished by this islet on the east coast and I had the most magnificent male cuckoo wrasse on the same pink/white jig i'd used all day. I was absolutely made up, I'd caught a female months earlier and was after a male and this one was magnificent.

Ballan111.jpg

BB666.jpg
CuckooMale2.jpg

What a day it was and now I'm writing this very lazy report for you guys. Off to bed in 10 minutes and leaving for the next session at 10am tomorrow, from the shore.
Thanks for reading lads.

Cheers

Chris

Shore:
I went out for a bait session last night and carried everything but the kitchen sink with me to a new mark. Of course, I had to take a lure rod and some jigs for a few casts before dark and to my surprise, every chuck with the 25G metals on the Century Graphex 10-40G rod, I was in to decent-sized black bream. The problem was, I had no drop net and lost many handlining, including a 5-6lb pollock that was in the mix, but, I was grateful a nice bass was landed safely. I brought the wrong camera lens, had the wrong settings, so the pics were a bit of a disaster. The session was some of the most exhilarating fishing I have ever had on jigs. Hard fighting, rod double up action, pure magic.

View attachment 14484

View attachment 14486

View attachment 14485

View attachment 14487
View attachment 14488
View attachment 14489

Boat:
I've been mega burning the candle a both ends, I am again fishing addicted, I can't turn a tide down. I finished the conger session that followed the above jigging at about 2am, after a horrid walk, I fell asleep reeking of squid and mackerel as soon as my head hit the pillow, spine killing me. The next thing I know is my phone is ringing at 10:30am, it's Aaron calling me from the pub after a few pints, telling me he needs to check his lobster pots and asks if I fancy boat fishing?! At this point I was hobbling around the lounge with my calves sore as anything, bleary-eyed and with the posture of a 93-year-old. I thought for 2-3 seconds and said: I'll be at the pub in 10 mins to meet him. I put last nights clothes back on, had 3 slices of dry bread and grabbed 2 spinning rods and headed to meet him. I excited, not so much about another mate having my life jacket but, about the fish that may be caught. I was chomping at the bit, and as soon as we got on the water I dropped for bream with squid strip as bait and got a double shot. These weren't any size though, so we kept moving until I hooked a really nice couches bream, 2lb+ and it shook the hook 3 feet from the boat. I was again on the 10-40G rod and lapping up the sensation as I landed successive black bream and 10 or 12 mackerel. We reloaded Aarons pots and removed the 4 lobsters from 6 pots he'd laid. I was amazed to see a tompot blenny and a black bream in the pots. Next, we continued fishing and I lost a pollock of a couple of pounds, then landed one a similar size. I had a good bass on and Aaron managed to auto-release it by the boat, you never want him to try and land your fish, he was as gutted as me though. We kept moving around the island until we hit the south coast, the boat we were in is about 16ft or so, we could navigate amongst the rocky islets and reefs. I then had a ballan with a lovely red white colouring. Next up we spotted an old neglected lobster pot that hadn't been checked in a year, it had all sorts growing on the buoy. I told Aaron to haul it up and it took two of us to lift it, it was full of edible crabs, with some in size. Aaron was sorting it out and I began casting again, hooking 3 bass in 3 casts, one in size. The neat thing was that we put the pot back down, not to get more crabs but, as a marker for the bass spot, for future reference, we don't use GPS here. Last spot of the day we fished by this islet on the east coast and I had the most magnificent male cuckoo wrasse on the same pink/white jig i'd used all day. I was absolutely made up, I'd caught a female months earlier and was after a male and this one was magnificent.

View attachment 14496

View attachment 14497
View attachment 14498

What a day it was and now I'm writing this very lazy report for you guys. Off to bed in 10 minutes and leaving for the next session at 10am tomorrow, from the shore.
Thanks for reading lads.

Cheers

Chris
Amazing!!! Can't get much better than that!!!!!!!

Wow, amazing couple of sessions there Chris and great pictures.
Impressed you picked up the bream on the spinners although I suppose it’s not surprising, they’re predatory little buggers and take float strip baits.

Would so love to be back in the islands but I don’t think the funds will allow it this year, looking at least £300 for the ferry ?

Iovely pics cracking fish love a mega sesh but doesn’t half take it out of you ?

Shore:

View attachment 14484

View attachment 14486

View attachment 14485

View attachment 14487
View attachment 14488
View attachment 14489

Boat:

View attachment 14496

View attachment 14497
View attachment 14498

Thanks for reading lads.

Cheers

Chris
Excellent report as always Chris lovely pics......

Fantastic report.
Stunning photos ?

They're a week away (springs). Book a flight ;)

Out here there is no coastguard, it's kind of at your own risk, nobody is going to be looking for you or, at risk but you. I think in many ways it's worse fishing on the rocks here as far as risk goes.
I will be out to see you soon Chris (next set of big springs???)

We're in this neat world here, where you're responsible for your own screw-ups and accidents, nobody picks up the pieces for you or risks their ass. If you break a leg, you crawl a mile back to civilisation, or not. I kind of like it better in a way. That said, I let a friend fishing the rocks alone borrow my life jacket. I guess life here is a bit different, more akin to the past.

If any of you like psychology, this is a good listen on the modern obsession with safety:

Stunning photographs and fantastic write up. Keep these reports coming. ???

Brilliant report and pics there, very well done on the lovely fish you had (y) (y)

Back