• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

A day at Nab .

Minters

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
I finally got out for a days fishing north of Nab.

Its three years since Ive had a cod from Nab so I wasn't holding my breath and sure enough no sign of any cod.

Nevertheless there were plenty of bites to be had - and my boatmate and I had plenty of reasonable whiting, some pout and doggies , and a few strap conger.

So hardly a red letter day but it was great to be out again.

Friday - Off out to Nab area or maybe French banks (great bass fishing out there) but tides at start of springs so may not have enough time out there to make it work. Expect will stick with general nab area & apart from the things they catch a lot of in Wales also have a go for some Spurs (had a cracking time on them this time last year).

What a lovely day we had yesterday fishing on the "whiting" grounds north of the Nab / edge of the Shipping channel.

Apart from a bit of a swell , it was calm seas and excluding one shower - it was sunny & warm. As to the catch - no cod - no spurs - loads of whiting some of which were 2lb ish. A 25-30 lb conger joined the fray on one of the cod rods and another was lost (on Whiting gear). Sister boat fished South of Nab & had a similar day.

Well done Coxy. Interesting that the sea was calm as I thought the forecast didn't look too promising.
I also had Whiting of around 2lbs when I was out on Monday which made for good eating. Last year I had a 3lb 13oz Whiting from the same area you fished which was probably the best fish Ive ever caught as a percentage of the record- not that I have had many other specimen fish !

We were surprised at sea state. Nasty swell coming out over the Chichester Harbour Bar but little wind out there despite a breezier forecast. There was a gentle " beam on" swell at anchor but was insignificant. Blew up a bit on way back in 3ish.
Very few dogs as the Whiting (full of sprats) were grabbing the baits as soon as down.

You would be fishing on those grounds in half an hour out of Sparkes.

Back