• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

A few days on the Severn

CoarseanglerSteve

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Just back from the first of our usual 2 trips to the Severn around Bridgnorth.
The river was low so wasn't expecting too much. Ended up with 13 barbel to just under 8lb, and quite a few nice chub, best 4lb 2.

Although I didn't get any (probably due to my choice of bigger hooks and baits), several of my mates had some great roach, with the best a massive 2lb 9!

.fullsizeoutput_15f9.jpegfullsizeoutput_15fb.jpegIMG_2101.JPGIMG_2087.JPGIMG_2090.JPGIMG_2094.JPGIMG_2095.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2089.JPG
    IMG_2089.JPG
    478.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2091.JPG
    IMG_2091.JPG
    787.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2093.JPG
    IMG_2093.JPG
    481.4 KB · Views: 12
brilliant mate my dad's on the wye at the moment for a week stay in bnb he's over from Ireland and says that the river is so low and fishing hard he's scraped a few out too ...miss they wye ..only fished the severn one day is a beautiful river

Just back from the first of our usual 2 trips to the Severn around Bridgnorth.
The river was low so wasn't expecting too much. Ended up with 13 barbel to just under 8lb, and quite a few nice chub, best 4lb 2.

Although I didn't get any (probably due to my choice of bigger hooks and baits), several of my mates had some great roach, with the best a massive 2lb 9!

.View attachment 11225View attachment 11226View attachment 11227View attachment 11228View attachment 11230View attachment 11233View attachment 11234
Really miss our trips up to the seven , mainly fished the winterdyne stretch near Bewdley , the last couple of trips was after heavy flooding and it was a struggle , but we had some great catches over the years after wading out to the island swim ( chances are the island has gone by now ) , sometimes it was chest high and we striped off and waded across , my pal was extra brave if not just the tiniest bit mad because he couldn’t swim …if I come home in September I was going to try and get a couple of days up there , especially if the barbel are back ..we never got a double in all the years we fished it , 9lb 2 was our best ..one day though ..??

Really miss our trips up to the seven , mainly fished the winterdyne stretch near Bewdley , the last couple of trips was after heavy flooding and it was a struggle , but we had some great catches over the years after wading out to the island swim ( chances are the island has gone by now ) , sometimes it was chest high and we striped off and waded across , my pal was extra brave if not just the tiniest bit mad because he couldn’t swim …if I come home in September I was going to try and get a couple of days up there , especially if the barbel are back ..we never got a double in all the years we fished it , 9lb 2 was our best ..one day though ..??
If you do rich I’ll meet up with you mate!!

If you do rich I’ll meet up with you mate!!

Some good pubs in Bewdley within walking distance for me ?

Some good pubs in Bewdley within walking distance for me ?
We used to stay at the George but my pal tells me Witherspoon’s own it now and it’s a bit of a Shiite hole …there was a couple of good Indian’s there as well , one was a balti house that you went upstairs to , proper basic but the food was excellent …

We used to stay at the George but my pal tells me Witherspoon’s own it now and it’s a bit of a Shiite hole …there was a couple of good Indian’s there as well , one was a balti house that you went upstairs to , proper basic but the food was excellent …
Yep the George is now a weatherspoons but in fact it’s ok the angel has gone and is now a Tesco express

The balti place you went to was it above a kebab/pizza house opposite the angel ? This is now a bar as well

Yep the George is now a weatherspoons but in fact it’s ok the angel has gone and is now a Tesco express

The balti place you went to was it above a kebab/pizza house opposite the angel ? This is now a bar as well
Yes mate I think it was …

Managed my first Ribble barbel earlier this week.....9lb 2oz. Well actually did catch 2 others before that evening - both about 8oz (catching little ones is practically unheard of apparently).

View attachment 12271
Catching small barbel is basically unheard of as you said !
Perhaps they were recently stocked ?

Catching small barbel is basically unheard of as you said !
Perhaps they were recently stocked ?
None stocked in the Ribble recently as far as I know (apart from the illegal stocking many many years ago that established the barbel population.......allegedly ;)).

I did have a couple small ones on the Trent years ago....in fact remember catching my first ever barbel on the Embankment ahead of a national championship.

Back