• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Highlands A good day on the pollack.

Skaterboy

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
It was a grey misty morning today so I headed up the east side of the island with a couple of packets of sand eels to an easy access mark for a go at the pollack. There was a slight NE swell and a very light breeze so fishing conditions were comfortable. The tide was just starting to flood and it was a bit quiet to start with but the fish soon started to feed. A few hours deep spinning produced 15 pollack up to 5lbs and 1 coalfish. The water is shallower on this mark with more weed and the fish are a really nice dark colour with big black eyes. We saw the local otter out fishing and all in all it turned out to be a better day than expected.DSCN0708.JPGDSCN0707.JPGDSCN0712.JPG

It was a grey misty morning today so I headed up the east side of the island with a couple of packets of sand eels to an easy access mark for a go at the pollack. There was a slight NE swell and a very light breeze so fishing conditions were comfortable. The tide was just starting to flood and it was a bit quiet to start with but the fish soon started to feed. A few hours deep spinning produced 15 pollack up to 5lbs and 1 coalfish. The water is shallower on this mark with more weed and the fish are a really nice dark colour with big black eyes. We saw the local otter out fishing and all in all it turned out to be a better day than expected.View attachment 13862View attachment 13863View attachment 13864
Did you go straight from work?

Can't wait to be up there

Always a joy to see an otter, the pollock and coalie are the icing on the cake.

It was a grey misty morning today so I headed up the east side of the island with a couple of packets of sand eels to an easy access mark for a go at the pollack. There was a slight NE swell and a very light breeze so fishing conditions were comfortable. The tide was just starting to flood and it was a bit quiet to start with but the fish soon started to feed. A few hours deep spinning produced 15 pollack up to 5lbs and 1 coalfish. The water is shallower on this mark with more weed and the fish are a really nice dark colour with big black eyes. We saw the local otter out fishing and all in all it turned out to be a better day than expected.View attachment 13862View attachment 13863View attachment 13864
Beautiful Colours nice one bud ?

Have to agree with that Warby. We've seen a couple of otters this week along with dolphins, golden eagles and a sea eagle.
The fishing is a bonus.
I remember camping at Duntulm and a family of otters got quite used to us being there. The big male floated past on his back observing us fishing.

Yes, some of them seem quite comfortable around people. Once when I was fishing Loch Linnhe I turned around to find a big male sitting on the rocks behind me not more than 10yards away.

Back