• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Wales A Gower bay session on the lures

nearly70ty

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Hi Gents.
Me and my mate Fulf headed out on the hunt for a few silvers, Started around 9.30 pm just as the light was changing. We were greeted with a light onshore wind, 1 ft surf, a rapidly dropping air pressure, and an overcast sky, all and all there was room for some optimism. Fulf went with the reliable white Albie Snax, and I opted for a 125 Patch in Ayu to see out the last of the light. We started in the right hand corner of the bay over some mixed ground. The water was crystal clear and there was a fare bit of weed suspended in the margins, wading out to our knees seen the most of it left behind us, but it was still a case of clearing the lure of action crushing weed fragments every other cast.

I fished the patch till it was full on dark where I changed to a glow spindle worm which has produced for me in the past. This was still picking up weed around the front of the lure as I trundled it slowly along the bottom. The slow retrieve is my go to method in the dark but after half an hour of nothingness I started mixed it up with slow and fast retrieves, a combination of both a lift and drop pretty much every thing I could think of .

Another change to a white Dolive copy and a repeat of the previous chapter with various retrieve's and mixture of then all seen nothing but one very tentative enquiry which resulted in nothing but a renewed vigor on my part. My last change was to a small Meggabass Kagelou in pearl white and yellow a lure I've used a few times and really can't understand why it has attracted a few fish as it looks the mutts nuts. I was fishing for a few minutes when I suddenly became aware of girls voices giggling quite close by, I put my headlamp on and 50 meters away were three girls no idea where they came from or how they got there without me sensing there presence. I moved over a little to my left and nearly had a unplanned dip of my own but for some stunning footwork as I tripped over some unseen rocks . I expected them to move but they didn't so me and Fulf headed for the other side of the bay. After another fruitless twenty minutes we again moved back to the original spot where the girls had disturbed us and low and behold a fish took my Kagelou and I was rewarded with a small scrap from basslet around 20 cm The tide was rapidly meeting the rocks behind us signalling our need to depart or fish the other side of the bay where unfortunately a party was still well in the grove. after a short discussion it was decided as it had been so quite and we would probably encountered even more weed over the rough ground, we headed for the car.

Onwards and upwards gents that double with your name on is out there somewhere keep plugging.

A good read, nice effort (y)

Back