• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

A perfect day

Coxy

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Last Saturday was due to go out in my boat (Orkney PH20) to have a bass bash in the Solent. Unfortunately mu chum could not make it at last minute & so lost time.

Decided to fish Chi Harbour on my own so grabbed some rag & set off to one of my spots. Expecting only some small bass as other species have normally gone especially the Gilt head bream. It was a beautiful calm day & sitting in the sunshine with a flooding tide could not have been more peaceful. First fish was a LS dog fish ! First I have ever had in the harbour in 25 years. Then after a weedy spell it went frantic with 50 + of billies from 1/2 to 2lb (all go back) and a hour spell where I had 7 large gilt head bream which I was not expecting. A lovely day .

One of the chaps who went to where I was going to go up East - had a field day with bass between 5-8lb .

Cracking day to be out and great fishing by the sound of it , fish inside Langstone a fair bit if pushed for time or bit choppy outside and should do it more often as can be very relaxing and stress free compared to some days out in the solent, the fishing inside Langstone has def improved over the last couple of years with hounds , decent bream incl giltheads and bass , mackerel shoals also show up occasionally, never had a doggie though but you can keep them round your side lol

Nice report Coxy! ??

Cracking day to be out and great fishing by the sound of it , fish inside Langstone a fair bit if pushed for time or bit choppy outside and should do it more often as can be very relaxing and stress free compared to some days out in the solent, the fishing inside Langstone has def improved over the last couple of years with hounds , decent bream incl giltheads and bass , mackerel shoals also show up occasionally, never had a doggie though but you can keep them round your side lol
I have had smoothound up to 16lb in 10ft of water in Chi harbour. Was not such a good year this time with the best 11lb. Great on 7ft spinning rod !!

Had them to low doubles inside Langstone and are great fun in the shallow water , can only imagine how the 16lb er went !! , Good to see some life in the harbour , Even saw a flounder a few weeks back but unfortunately it was in one of the resident seals mouth , couldn't believe it haven't caught a flounder for years n that thing pops up with one just to rub it in .

Had 3 flounders in the last 10 years. Too many seals in both harbours which are fish nurseries. Used to be 13-15 a few years ago & then they introduced another 20 and now there over 80 eating all the small bass etc.

Not sure what benefits the seals bring to the harbours but unfortunately here to stay I would think , crying shame about the flounder fishing as what got me into the boat fishing n ownership many years ago .

Back