• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

West Coast advise on isle of mull

john salt

Reaction score
Hi all first thanks for allowing me into the forum. My wife and I are taking our first breakaway in nearly 2 years to the Isle of Mull on 6th November for 1 week staying at Craignure my knowledge of sea fishing is pretty limited to foreign holidays fishing on a chuck it and chance it basis, I have a 10-foot Shakespeare 15/35 grm spinning rod and Shakespeare reel and also saltwater fly tackle my fishing experience is predominately freshwater fly. Please can anyone offer any advice to me on fishing on mull where to fish and how any advice would be most appreciated Thank you in anticipation?
John Salt

It's a long time since I fished on Mull and the main reason for my visits was the excellent brown trout fishing on the lochs but I did find time for a bit of sea fishing. I was based in Tobermory about 20 miles from Craignure. There's a path which runs from Tobermory ferry pier around the headland to Rubha nan Gall where there is a lighthouse on a small rocky island. When i was there you could cross the bridge to the lighthouse and climb down a ladder onto the island but, judging by recent photos, that may not be possible now. There are places you can fish though without going onto the island. I caught small pollack, coalfish and mackerel on spinners and dogfish and an octopus on the bottom using mackerel bait. At various places along the path from Tobermory I caught coalfish on spinners. Nearer to Craignure I remember liking the look of the rocks on the headland below Duart Castle and I think they would definitely be worth a try. There's deep water not very far out all along the Sound of Mull from Craignure to Tobermory so any likely looking rocks near the roadside with a reasonable depth of water would be worth a try. I was obviously there earlier in the year for the trout season but there's a chance some pollack and coalfish will still be around at the beginning of November. It sounds as if your spinning gear would be up to the job. That's about all the information I have unfortunately. Best of luck on your trip.

It's a long time since I fished on Mull and the main reason for my visits was the excellent brown trout fishing on the lochs but I did find time for a bit of sea fishing. I was based in Tobermory about 20 miles from Craignure. There's a path which runs from Tobermory ferry pier around the headland to Rubha nan Gall where there is a lighthouse on a small rocky island. When i was there you could cross the bridge to the lighthouse and climb down a ladder onto the island but, judging by recent photos, that may not be possible now. There are places you can fish though without going onto the island. I caught small pollack, coalfish and mackerel on spinners and dogfish and an octopus on the bottom using mackerel bait. At various places along the path from Tobermory I caught coalfish on spinners. Nearer to Craignure I remember liking the look of the rocks on the headland below Duart Castle and I think they would definitely be worth a try. There's deep water not very far out all along the Sound of Mull from Craignure to Tobermory so any likely looking rocks near the roadside with a reasonable depth of water would be worth a try. I was obviously there earlier in the year for the trout season but there's a chance some pollack and coalfish will still be around at the beginning of November. It sounds as if your spinning gear would be up to the job. That's about all the information I have unfortunately. Best of luck on your trip.
Thank you for coming back to me with this information I will let you know how i go on.

Back