• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Anglesey with my boys.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Following on from the latest club match, my second outing of the week was another chance to continue my boys angling education. After the dog fest of last time, which my eldest son Zak was unfortunate to miss out on, it seemed a shame not to return to the same spot again, so despite some light rain being forecast, the plan was duly hatched. With high tide early in the afternoon we planned to fish a couple of hours up and about 3 hours down again, or until my pupils got bored, whichever came first ?. Though we were a bit late leaving home, the traffic was light and we were still fishing only 10 minutes later than originally planned.

Whereas the last time we only had to wait a matter of seconds for the first bite of the day, this time we weren’t so fortunate and we had to wait almost 5 minutes for the first sign of interest in our baits ?. After he missed out last time, it was only fair that my eldest lad Zak was first off the mark and within 10 minutes of us casting out, the first dog of the day was duly landed (y).
Zak Dog.jpg

Over the next 20 minutes, Sam also got on the scoreboard with a double header of dogs and he was followed shortly after by Josh, so everything was going well :giggle:.
Sam Dogs.jpg

Josh Dogs.jpg

Though it wasn’t as busy as the last time we visited, sport was still quite steady as high tide came and went, with a constant stream of dogs being landed. After a few outings where we blanked, Zak was just happy to be catching on his first visit to the mark and Josh is pretty easy going but Sam wasn’t up for doggie bashing all day, so he wanted to try something different. With only squid, sandeel, lug and a handful of frozen crab, we didn’t exactly have a huge choice of baits but I had a plan, so I rigged him up with a 2 hook boom rig, armed with size 8’s. One hook was then baited with a small section of lug and the other with 3 or 4 legs off the frozen crab, and with an under arm swing this was then lobbed gently a few meters out from the rocks. Having tried the tactic there myself in the past without much success, I wasn’t convinced that he would do particularly well but within a couple of minutes I was proved wrong ?. A cry from Sam that he had a bite was followed shortly after by him swinging a nice little ballan wrasse ashore, which had taken a shine to the crab legs.
Sam Ballan 1.jpg

Buoyed by his instant success, Sam was soon back in action and next up was a cracking little corkwing, he was on a roll ?.
Sam Corkwing.jpg

After getting off to a flyer on the scratcher, things slowed down a bit now and the next bite wasn’t as quick in coming, when it did though it resulted in a stunningly coloured ballan (y).
Sam Ballan 2.jpg

Strangely, the small stuff went off the feed after this and the bites dried up for Sam, but he was still buzzing and with the big baits still resulting in a doggie a chuck, Zak and Josh were also still happy.

As for me, with the boys having outgrown their uptiders they are now using my beachcasters ?, which meant I couldn’t fish much myself but in between helping them, I did manage the odd cast to catch a few dogs of my own and I had also sneaked in a lure rod for a bit of fun ?. Though the hoped for mackerel didn’t show, I did manage a solitary ballan on a small bait and a couple of launce on the Hokkais, both new shore species for me this year, and seeing how the boys skills are improving every time I take them out, I was more than happy ?.
Launce.jpg

Though the boys were having a good time, there are only so many dogs you can catch before boredom sets in ? and by 3 hours after high water they were pretty much done and with bites having slowed down anyway, we called an end to our session.

So the boys had all caught plenty of fish, with a little variety thrown in too, and while other parts of Anglesey had experienced rain and even some thunder, we had enjoyed some dry weather and warm sunshine, so a good time was had by all .?

Always good to get the kids out dangling. If I close my eyes I can still hear the squeals of delight my daughter made when she caught her first Mackerel, in fairness it was bloody massive and I too would have been squealing had I caught it.

Great report Andy.

Back