• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Angling books.

Trampster

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Stumbled across this seller whilst looking for something earlier. May be some gems of interest for some. Prices are reasonable anyway.

Stumbled across this seller whilst looking for something earlier. May be some gems of interest for some. Prices are reasonable anyway.

I’ve got loads of those, lol.

The Ian Ball book is a really good one for beginners, quite funny too. A bit dated now but still relevant.

He did Coarse Fishing Properly Explained too, also good.

The book I had as a kid isn't there, more of a generic coarse and sea written in the style of Mr Crabtree published circa 1975/76? a lot of the tips are down right illegal now. Using live bait for pike for example, treble hook the live bait fish and puncture it's swim bladder first then use the sink and draw method to coax a lurking pike out from the weeds. I think you were meant to present the bait fish side on so the pike got a mouth full of treble hooks.

I’ve got loads of those, lol.

The Ian Ball book is a really good one for beginners, quite funny too. A bit dated now but still relevant.

He did Coarse Fishing Properly Explained too, also good.
I've ordered a music DVD from them which is how I came across the books. I came within a hair of bagging the Ian Ball one too, but the reviews saying it was a bit basic put me off. ??

I've ordered a music DVD from them which is how I came across the books. I came within a hair of bagging the Ian Ball one too, but the reviews saying it was a bit basic put me off. ??
It’s a chatty, friendly and easy to digest book with some humour.
It is aimed at beginners though but is an overall look at sea fishing so there might be some aspects you’d find useful.
Sometimes I find the more basic books do help us to rethink learned habits we get into, ie ‘oh, I used to do that and I caught some good fish, why don’t I do it now?’

On the whole though, yes, if someone has got a reasonable level of angling knowledge anyway, there probably isn’t a huge extra amount in there for them.
Mind you, I haven’t looked at my copy for years, so can’t recall the specifics too well.

Thanks Trampster,I will check it out later,I'm always on the lookout for old fishing books.

Thanks Trampster,I will check it out later,I'm always on the lookout for old fishing books.
That was only a list of sea angling books from one supplier, World Books. If you're after older editions, it might pay you to put in a general search for 'sea angling books'.

This is the book that set me off on the right tracks in the 1960's. It was one of a series that covered a lot of the country. I still like looking through it but it's a bit sad looking back on what you could expect to catch then compared to today. I see some of the series are available on Amazon.
DSCN1681.JPGDSCN1682.JPG

This is the book that set me off on the right tracks in the 1960's. It was one of a series that covered a lot of the country. I still like looking through it but it's a bit sad looking back on what you could expect to catch then compared to today. I see some of the series are available on Amazon.
View attachment 26277View attachment 26278

I think I saw a copy of the South Devon one on eBay, but it vanished before I could buy it. Twas only an impulse thought about buying it anyway.

ThanksTrampster & skater boy,I will look for the books mentioned on your post
I'll have to remember to dig out some of my old Angling books and line 'em up for a photo shoot!

Another one that fired my imagination in the 60's. An anthology of fishing tales from Australia and New Zealand including the early days of big game fishing. Over 300 pages of stories about a different world of fishing. There's a few copies of this one on Amazon.
DSCN1683.JPGDSCN1684.JPG

The book I had as a kid isn't there, more of a generic coarse and sea written in the style of Mr Crabtree published circa 1975/76? a lot of the tips are down right illegal now. Using live bait for pike for example, treble hook the live bait fish and puncture it's swim bladder first then use the sink and draw method to coax a lurking pike out from the weeds. I think you were meant to present the bait fish side on so the pike got a mouth full of treble hooks.
Nothing illegal there! Lots of angling clubs have bans on live baiting but it's not an illegal method as far as the Environment Agency is concerned.

Last edited:
Back