• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Another attempt

Shirleycodlin

I am the god of hell fire
Staff member
Reaction score
Back on the beach again this morning.
Got set up and again worked a silver sandeel pattern fly through the breaking shoals of fry.
Not a breath of wind to start with and gin clear water.
As the flooding tide started to make, the water clarity became more muddied so I changed to a black sandeel fly, the thinking being that it would create a better target for the bass to see.
An hour into my session, a keen onshore breeze picked up, causing problems with my casting and the water (in my mind) was by now too murky, so I called it quits.
Still finding my way with fly fishing for bass.
As well as having a lot more to learn, I suspect that fishing featureless shingle beaches is not the easiest of venues!
But that's what are on my doorstep, so that is what I must fish!

Twas a good sunrise though!

IMG_20210805_054459.jpg

If there's fry there you are always in with a chance regardless of the lack of other features. You might be better off with some proper tackle though instead of wafting a bit of fur or feather about

Stick at it Shirl (y) I rarely use anything but synthetic baitfish and Clouser minnow patterns and have found chartreuse over white with a black lateral line about the best. Flappy is dead right about the 'backwards' casting - the fundamental prerequisite of good casting is in the backcast, and looking backwards you can watch it form and alter the casting arc to punch the final delivery out and down with an efficient narrow loop. A sinking line can also help cut through a headwind (denser so less bulk to catch the breeze) and allows you to use unweighted flies that can also help.
A good skateboarding expression to remember is "if it's easy it's lame" (it can make life even more bloody difficult at times though:LOL:)

I always do best in those conditions by casting directly into the wind and try to cast under the wind. I don't bother casting backwards usually a headwind will straighten out your backcast quite nicely but the wind does tend to drive your backcast downwards, just turn your head and watch it. Weighted flies will turn your leader over better but shorten your leader. Alternatively get in the water and fish down the beach moving into the current fanning your casts as you move down the beach. Onshore wind should push any bait in closer to the shore and any bass will not be that far out. Probably need a sinking line anyway if the waves get up.

That's food for thought.
I've always done better using a sinking line for trout.
Don't know why I've gone with a floating line for bass?!

If the surfs up then you want a sinker, floating lines get thrown all over the place plus they will pick up more weed if there is any around.
I did many trips out to Cape Cod and never rigged up with a floater once. The bigger the surf the faster the sinker but a fast intermediate is my normal line for beaches.

Back