• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Highlands Another good day on the rocks.

Skaterboy

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
It was a bit windier today with just enough drizzle to make the waterproofs necessary but not too bad by Skye standards. I got onto the rocks just as the tide started to flood and was expecting it to be quiet for a while but on the third cast I was straight into a 5lb pollack, a good start to the day. From then on the fishing was steady with plenty of takes and the average size was a bit better than the previous session. The successful method was again frozen sand eel fished deep and slow on a long trace.Total catch was 16 pollack and one nice coalfish right at the end of the day.DSCN0813.JPGDSCN0821.JPGDSCN0816.JPGDSCN0825.JPG

It was a bit windier today with just enough drizzle to make the waterproofs necessary but not too bad by Skye standards. I got onto the rocks just as the tide started to flood and was expecting it to be quiet for a while but on the third cast I was straight into a 5lb pollack, a good start to the day. From then on the fishing was steady with plenty of takes and the average size was a bit better than the previous session. The successful method was again frozen sand eel fished deep and slow on a long trace.Total catch was 16 pollack and one nice coalfish right at the end of the day.View attachment 13980View attachment 13981View attachment 13982View attachment 13983
Nice fish.

Do you take the sandeel up there with you or can they be bought on the island?

Nice fish.

Do you take the sandeel up there with you or can they be bought on the island?
Thanks. I don't know anywhere on the island where you can get sandeel and I always bring plenty of frozen bait. Sandeels have been hard to get hold of this year down my way and the ones I got were smaller than usual. I had to downsize to a 2/0 Big Mouth Extra to suit the size of the baits but the pollack didn't seem to mind. I'd prefer a bigger sandeel on a 4/0.

I’ve eaten pollack a few times but I wasn’t that keen.

Back