• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Another rod....

Well I took the opportunity of my son napping to apply flex coat.
So tomorrow I'll look at the spigot! It arrived today so thank you very much for that Stan.

Hope it works for you, most rod builders would have done the internal repair first and then worried about thread and resin. By doing the thread first you could easily misshape /compress or oval the blank.

Understood, bit late now.....

I can see the cracks still on the spigot and they are all aligned without any gaps, so hopefully it will be ok. My thinking was that by inserting the spigot and adhesive I might open them up?

Understood, bit late now.....

I can see the cracks still on the spigot and they are all aligned without any gaps, so hopefully it will be ok. My thinking was that by inserting the spigot and adhesive I might open them up?

If you sand the reinforcing piece to a correct fit inc. glue gap then should be no problem

I done a similar repair on a zippy bass 30 years ago and is still going strong I drilled a small hole at the top of the crack to stop it running so to speak. I don't know if this was right but it's still going though it's not used much now

I done a similar repair on a zippy bass 30 years ago and is still going strong I drilled a small hole at the top of the crack to stop it running so to speak. I don't know if this was right but it's still going though it's not used much now

That`s a solution for metals / alloys. Serves no purpose on glass or carbon. Does no real harm either.

Just to update that the repair has been completed, another cheers to @stan m for sorting me out some material. Much appreciated.

As predicted it took me a few days to get the opportunity to get this done.
I did it late last week but haven't managed to get out to test it yet and see if it explodes. If it survives a few hard test casts then hopefully it should be good to go!

Haha, I wouldn't dare be that devious!

I will use it, if it survives the test cast and it's first tug of war with an eel or thornback, it's my only 3 piece so could almost be considered a travel rod...

I forgot to update this, I took the rod out last week to a fairly snaggy mark on the south coast after smoothies. Casting 5oz and whole squid as well as rag baits.

The session drew a blank but the rod was great, I snagged up and did give it a good pull to try to free it (it is generally weedy/rocky that can be pulled through, but I managed to snag a pipe...) with no cracks or bangs. I was a little harder on the rod than I would normally be and all seems fine. I will take it out into the BC next, 6 and maybe 7oz plus bait, near the top of its rating with some OTG casting.

But so far it all looks good. Thanks again to Stan!

I forgot to update this, I took the rod out last week to a fairly snaggy mark on the south coast after smoothies. Casting 5oz and whole squid as well as rag baits.

The session drew a blank but the rod was great, I snagged up and did give it a good pull to try to free it (it is generally weedy/rocky that can be pulled through, but I managed to snag a pipe...) with no cracks or bangs. I was a little harder on the rod than I would normally be and all seems fine. I will take it out into the BC next, 6 and maybe 7oz plus bait, near the top of its rating with some OTG casting.

But so far it all looks good. Thanks again to Stan!
In general your not going to worry that part unless really giving it the beans with a full on cast as most casting will be tip into mid section.
But wouldn't be going with 7oz as for one conti types are all weight ie bait and fixtures where as UK types are rated on just lead weight.
7oz is a lot of lead to be throwing around for many rods many that are more pokey! and personally i'd stay 6 and under for one far more pleasant to cast than 7 plus if using decent thin braid on a decent spooled FS ie not a short spooled grinder and 5oz you'll find cast a decent way pretty easily OTG will work but make sure lead outside tip.
Many of the Conti types are pretty ambiguous with there ratings!

That crack though was a crush been squashed/trod on.
My sunset Hispex has a crack at top of butt section had it cleaned up and double whipped but was still flexing but then one day sat down had a look and from new profile of male part was wrong so got some ultra fine wet n dry lapped it down till went in a lot further bingo no more issues and been whacked hard casting by a 300yarder that snapped leader! so rod survived that with no issues so sorted! but surprised Reputable rod builder that whipped it up didn't see the issue! and pretty sure that's similar issues that blighted Penn three piece rods while back as they cracked on butt there so many over whipped.

I see your point @Tournamag , rod is rated to 275g, so a 200g lead and a rag bait might be ok? I wouldn't be using 7oz regularly, more of a stress test for the rod while I am giving it the "seal of approval" :)
My usual lead is 6oz around here, only need 7oz at a particular mark or two when the tide is properly racing through, but as that is usually followed by weed I prefer to avoid that anyway. Good point about the lead being outside the tip though for OTG casting, will ensure that is the case.

@jackjock , tell me about it....I am always on gumtree/ebay looking...have had some good ones and now a bad one, but this didn't turn out so bad in the end. I have sold a lot of rods though that didn't suit me, such as C curves etc, I could probably still thin down a few, but I find it so easy to justify keeping them....same for reels

I see your point @Tournamag , rod is rated to 275g, so a 200g lead and a rag bait might be ok? I wouldn't be using 7oz regularly, more of a stress test for the rod while I am giving it the "seal of approval" :)
My usual lead is 6oz around here, only need 7oz at a particular mark or two when the tide is properly racing through, but as that is usually followed by weed I prefer to avoid that anyway. Good point about the lead being outside the tip though for OTG casting, will ensure that is the case.

@jackjock , tell me about it....I am always on gumtree/ebay looking...have had some good ones and now a bad one, but this didn't turn out so bad in the end. I have sold a lot of rods though that didn't suit me, such as C curves etc, I could probably still thin down a few, but I find it so easy to justify keeping them....same for reels
Trouble is might say/do it but folds over in the tide!
Went fishing with someone that bought a Daiwa think Emcast(grey'ish sort of thing)4-8oz think they meant grams? as with 6oz butt and reel was facing sea but tip was still on the beach along with lead a bit late to the party!
you only need more weight due to pull on line so a thin smooth round braid reduces amount of lead needed just like with boat fishing rarely need half a house to hold bottom like used to braid completely changed rods and fishing.

Also with 5-6oz you will be able to compress rod more than 7oz odd

What's your thoughts on tronix rods mate

Very informative thread this. After reading it I am going to have a go at repairing on old zippy that has been put away for years.

Back