• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Another rod....

I forgot to update this, I took the rod out last week to a fairly snaggy mark on the south coast after smoothies. Casting 5oz and whole squid as well as rag baits.

The session drew a blank but the rod was great, I snagged up and did give it a good pull to try to free it (it is generally weedy/rocky that can be pulled through, but I managed to snag a pipe...) with no cracks or bangs. I was a little harder on the rod than I would normally be and all seems fine. I will take it out into the BC next, 6 and maybe 7oz plus bait, near the top of its rating with some OTG casting.

But so far it all looks good. Thanks again to Stan!
Theres another on Flea bay

Truth be known Tonix don't make rods, just like Akios don't make reels. They sell them yes but like all the other non OEM brands they have them made for them by the likes of Jingsong, Omoto etc

I use 30lb 8bstrand cheap braid,

Appears to be various Grauvell rods on ebay!
I've got a watch on them to find a mate for mine, but it will have to be cheap! I think Home-un-leisure have found a few more, despite Grauvell no longer being in existence.

I see your point @Tournamag , rod is rated to 275g, so a 200g lead and a rag bait might be ok? I wouldn't be using 7oz regularly, more of a stress test for the rod while I am giving it the "seal of approval" :)
My usual lead is 6oz around here, only need 7oz at a particular mark or two when the tide is properly racing through, but as that is usually followed by weed I prefer to avoid that anyway. Good point about the lead being outside the tip though for OTG casting, will ensure that is the case.

@jackjock , tell me about it....I am always on gumtree/ebay looking...have had some good ones and now a bad one, but this didn't turn out so bad in the end. I have sold a lot of rods though that didn't suit me, such as C curves etc, I could probably still thin down a few, but I find it so easy to justify keeping them....same for reels
Ive just bought a bullet gt and a m4 gt hopefully they,ll see me out hopefully:unsure::)

He's selling this one even cheaper.£55.
Thanks TDXS! Yes, I had briefly seen them and I had messaged him about the Unyx but no reply yet. Grauvell Vertix rods vary a lot in quality, and as I'm in no rush, I was hoping a Vertix Jack might crop up as it's all Fuji rings & reel seat, plus it comes with a quality Neoprene bag.

With a heavier casting weight you are going to compress the blank more on any given power of cast than with lighter - 7oz more than 6oz more than with 5oz. It's physics. Hit a cast with more casting weight with the same power and your body will feel it more too! What perhaps Tournomag means is that you can compress the blank more efficiently with 5 or 6 rather than 7 by avoiding overloading (straining) the rod or the body?

Back