• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Any slow pitch jigging experience on here?

I was thinking of doubling them up (back to belly, sharing split rings) like we used to do with tobies for salmon in high water. Worth a try I'm thinking? And with the Oringen spoons? Should 'clack' on the flutter and rip?

Much to try, more to think about....great game this fishing lark!

I was thinking of doubling them up (back to belly, sharing split rings) like we used to do with tobies for salmon in high water. Worth a try I'm thinking? And with the Oringen spoons? Should 'clack' on the flutter and rip?

Much to try, more to think about....great game this fishing lark!
You need to find lures that do not have a full spin action. They will cause problems! Hence my liking for the Dexter wedge, it's more wobble and flash with this lure and a slight sideways dart when pulled at moderate speed.

I just took a look at ebay and there are sellers of slow pitch lures at low prices, of course they come direct from China! Some of the brand name UK sellers are wanting really silly money for much the same thing. On the odd occasion I have dropped one of these things to the reef they invariable stuck permanently at the first touch! :cry:

Another word of advice - make up your own assist hook arrangement. Most of the ones you buy commercially are for tuna type species and could raise the Titanic!

Find a hook that will spring a little when snagged. Anyone who has drift fished the Scottish east coast marks will have worked out which hooks are best for pulling fish up, but not breaking their line when they invariably get snagged. Assist tied hooks help with avoiding snagging but not by that much!

And with the Oringen spoons?
Now there's a blast from the past! Caught my first ever pike on a Lil' Oringen over 30 years ago. Think I still have it in the shed somewhere. Thanks for the trip down memory lane :)

I'll have a play around and see what works. I've tied up some Mustad Viking Pennel in 4/0 snelled to 100lb braid precisely because they can be bent out, but there's plenty of options commercially available tied up to the preferred kevlar paracord. Not all of them are heavy-duty big game gaffs and it's these I was hoping to get some user feedback and advice on

UK users of slow pitch ? I've used speed and slow jig techniques overseas but am wondering if any on here can share experiences on these tactics in UK waters for the likes of cod bass and pollack?
Cheers
Al

Edited because of typos

Yes, I do very little else and have been SPJ fishing since 2015, when the gear was harder to come by.

Currently, I use 3 rods, 2 x Hearty Rise, Slow jigging II, (one is a power 2 and the other a power 3), and a Temple Reef Gravitate.

The reels are Maxel Rage 25's loaded with 20lb YGK Jig Master braid.

Most of my SPJ is over the wrecks in depths between 100 to 250ft, so most of my jigs are 100g - 250g.

I would say that SPJ usually finds the better stamp of fish.

Thanks for your input GPSGuru. Please could you tell us all about your UK use of this method ?

SPJ fished in the traditional way from my boat (Ribcraft 585 Offshore Professional).

Here in Lyme Bay we rarely get a tide flow of 1.5knts, mostly sub 1knt, therefore we tend to use jigs of 1g per foot or water, or less.

Pretty much the standard style of drop to the bottom and probably 3 long pitches to clear the bottom and them a seies of short pitches to find the fish. Once the fish are located, I will ‘hold’ the jig in that part of the water column on the next and subsequent drifts.

By far the most successful jig colour for me has been a jig that is predominantly blue.

All the usual suspects fall to SPJ, Pollock, Bass, Gurnard, scad, mack, Pout, JD, etc.

Watching the jig using Garmin panoptix can be quite addictive !

Back