• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Are they for Real?

Tournamag

Reaction score
London with "Night Mayor for London Kaiser Khan"
Just stuck my Nabet into Veals latest come buy email! Whoa are they for Real TronixPoo rods dearer than Century and Zziplex! Fooka my ole Boots!

Zziplex work out of a Purpose Built Factory in Kent. Century same up in NE Both with lot's tied up in equipment and technology plus staff yet Tronix operate out of a Garden shed with no tech/materials/staff or stock even as comes in tin boxes via Felixstowe From Choogie Land then sent to shops and the same rods can be found in OZ cheaper under another brand as they slipped up while back as load came in with other name labelled over!

They probably bump up the price to make it look something special ,, at the end of day it probably due to shipping and import duty, its all changed since we left the eu

Just stuck my Nabet into Veals latest come buy email! Whoa are they for Real TronixPoo rods dearer than Century and Zziplex! Fooka my ole Boots!

Zziplex work out of a Purpose Built Factory in Kent. Century same up in NE Both with lot's tied up in equipment and technology plus staff yet Tronix operate out of a Garden shed with no tech/materials/staff or stock even as comes in tin boxes via Felixstowe From Choogie Land then sent to shops and the same rods can be found in OZ cheaper under another brand as they slipped up while back as load came in with other name labelled over!
I work for Tronix in a marketing capacity (they are a customer of mine). I presume you are looking at the Competition Match range. Just a couple of points on that:
  • The blanks are made in Korea, established as a centre of excellence in the world for the production of carbon products. It's not cheap to produce rods in Korea either, comparable to the UK. As a small company, Tronix wouldn't be able to afford the investment required to own and operate such machinery. Century, Zziplex and to a certain extent Daiwa are part of the few that do make rods here. Outsourcing manufacturer is something most brands do now, including the likes of Hardy, who were getting blanks made in Korea well before Pure Fishing took them over. Some companies have the advantage of also making other carbon products to run alongside the rod business.
  • A large percentage of the cost of the rods is actually the fixtures and the fittings, not the blank, Fuji items are getting more and more expensive and supply is generally always short, which can push the price up even further.
  • Each of the rods has been designed and developed using a whole range of pro staff, who have worked on them for over 18 months. I'm not going to name drop, but these are lads who have won Penn Sea Leagues and have been World Champions in the past, each of these rods they've had an input into and have changed things they didn't like or wanted to enhance through each prototype stage. They're not just plucked off the shelf and badge stuck on :)
  • With regards to the Viper rod, which I presume you're talking about with regard to Australia, that was before my time, but that rod was sold on by the factory after it had been developed and I believe they are even selling them on Wish now - needless to say, Tronix don't use them anymore. It hasn't been in the range since 2016.
  • Tronix doesn't operate out of a garden shed either, it owns a large office space and warehouse in Littlehampton, and is actually looking to move to larger premises at the current time. Tronix does also have a staff, eight at the moment with two more joining soon.
  • Mike is also right regarding shipping. Although it is not actually Brexit that is the issue with costs of shipping, it is the fact containers are full all of the time to bring items into the UK and space is at a premium. The pandemic has resulted in a boom in fishing in general and everybody is trying to get kit over as quickly as they can. A container that would ship for $1,500 last February is now between $8,000 and $10,000 to bring over. Most companies have added on around 5 - 8% price increase, to absorb some of this, even made in UK products are going to have to go up in price, at some point, as they buy a large number if not all of their raw materials from Korea, China and Japan. Incidentally, Tronix has added one of the lowest price increases in the industry, still absorbing some costs, so the everyday items don't start to get out of hand.

I work for Tronix in a marketing capacity (they are a customer of mine). I presume you are looking at the Competition Match range. Just a couple of points on that:
  • The blanks are made in Korea, established as a centre of excellence in the world for the production of carbon products. It's not cheap to produce rods in Korea either, comparable to the UK. As a small company, Tronix wouldn't be able to afford the investment required to own and operate such machinery. Century, Zziplex and to a certain extent Daiwa are part of the few that do make rods here. Outsourcing manufacturer is something most brands do now, including the likes of Hardy, who were getting blanks made in Korea well before Pure Fishing took them over. Some companies have the advantage of also making other carbon products to run alongside the rod business.
  • A large percentage of the cost of the rods is actually the fixtures and the fittings, not the blank, Fuji items are getting more and more expensive and supply is generally always short, which can push the price up even further.
  • Each of the rods has been designed and developed using a whole range of pro staff, who have worked on them for over 18 months. I'm not going to name drop, but these are lads who have won Penn Sea Leagues and have been World Champions in the past, each of these rods they've had an input into and have changed things they didn't like or wanted to enhance through each prototype stage. They're not just plucked off the shelf and badge stuck on :)
  • With regards to the Viper rod, which I presume you're talking about with regard to Australia, that was before my time, but that rod was sold on by the factory after it had been developed and I believe they are even selling them on Wish now - needless to say, Tronix don't use them anymore. It hasn't been in the range since 2016.
  • Tronix doesn't operate out of a garden shed either, it owns a large office space and warehouse in Littlehampton, and is actually looking to move to larger premises at the current time. Tronix does also have a staff, eight at the moment with two more joining soon.
  • Mike is also right regarding shipping. Although it is not actually Brexit that is the issue with costs of shipping, it is the fact containers are full all of the time to bring items into the UK and space is at a premium. The pandemic has resulted in a boom in fishing in general and everybody is trying to get kit over as quickly as they can. A container that would ship for $1,500 last February is now between $8,000 and $10,000 to bring over. Most companies have added on around 5 - 8% price increase, to absorb some of this, even made in UK products are going to have to go up in price, at some point, as they buy a large number if not all of their raw materials from Korea, China and Japan. Incidentally, Tronix has added one of the lowest price increases in the industry, still absorbing some costs, so the everyday items don't start to get out of hand.
Thank you mike ,these are the type of answers I like ,, putting things correct before they get outa of hand and end up a slagging off ,it'd be nice to see other reps coming on here to represent there products ?

I guess a company looks at its costs, looks at the successful competition and then decides to either undercut, (if it can), or go with a similar price.

I happen to have mostly century rods since my carp days as a lad, most 2nd hand I'll add, but recently bought the Fireblade after trying one.

Now I love these rods, but I see many other lads out there won't even entertain them as they are too cheap!..... Crazy world....so I guess a company with a number of ranges will price one in all camps if possible?.... Makes business sense I guess?...... Regardless of actually production cost of the item.

Just my thoughts, as someone that buys rods as tools, not fashion accessories ?

Same as yourself Si fly I have owned century rods for many years when they bought out the new Fireblade I bought straight away it is one of the best rods I have owned really light quite powerful and sits well in the wind. And for the price probably one of the best all round rods on the market today.

Slight change of topic but I use Harrison rods for my coarse fishing (another British made blank) and i notice that they make sea rods but never hear of them being used. Are their beach rods no good?

Slight change of topic but I use Harrison rods for my coarse fishing (another British made blank) and i notice that they make sea rods but never hear of them being used. Are their beach rods no good?
p3 n q3 great rods both great rods if you are considering buying them seriously I will do a write up.

Why not put the country of origin on them....... probably because when they stand next to a zip or a century in the shop people will buy British.....

Back