• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Asking for a friend

Shirleycodlin

I am the god of hell fire
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there lure folk.

Im a bit stuck and in need of help.

Much to my disgust Jax really seems to have gotten the lure bug, despite only catching a few Mackerel last summer. My problem is twofold. Firstly, I would teach her to fish properly with a fly rod, but after one attempt, I can see that that would be a very very long road. So, its to the lures she must go and there lies my second problem.
I dont have a ruddy clue what to buy.
Rod, reel and braid are sorted, but what lures? As far as I can make out, it seems the higher the price the more stupid the name and thus more gullible one must be to purchase one?

So, to help you answer, I can part with the following information:
We fish over clean ground from classic long distance casting COD beaches. The water sometimes clears to nearly 'gin clear' but more often than not has some to quite a bit of colour in it.
The main features are either the 'gutter' between shingle and sand over high water or gullies and sand banks if we fish over low water.
The main point of this fishing is quick local spur of the moment trips. So venturing off to possibly better locations is a bit pointless for us.
I guess her main target species would be Bass?

So, given the above, what would be the best 5 lures I could buy in order to improve her chances?

Thank you so much if you can give me some helpful information.
Shirl.

surface lures
xorus patchinko II 140mm 500G lieu
lucky craft sammy 115 salty Ghost minnow
lucky craft Gun Fish 115 Ghost Minnow
jelly lure
filish black minnow Kaki
metal lure
savage gear seaker 28g white Pearl
in my opinion 5 lures you actually need in a lure box
Well, I've got 1 of 'em John - it's a start! ???

Hi there lure folk.

Im a bit stuck and in need of help.

Much to my disgust Jax really seems to have gotten the lure bug, despite only catching a few Mackerel last summer. My problem is twofold. Firstly, I would teach her to fish properly with a fly rod, but after one attempt, I can see that that would be a very very long road. So, its to the lures she must go and there lies my second problem.
I dont have a ruddy clue what to buy.
Rod, reel and braid are sorted, but what lures? As far as I can make out, it seems the higher the price the more stupid the name and thus more gullible one must be to purchase one?

So, to help you answer, I can part with the following information:
We fish over clean ground from classic long distance casting COD beaches. The water sometimes clears to nearly 'gin clear' but more often than not has some to quite a bit of colour in it.
The main features are either the 'gutter' between shingle and sand over high water or gullies and sand banks if we fish over low water.
The main point of this fishing is quick local spur of the moment trips. So venturing off to possibly better locations is a bit pointless for us.
I guess her main target species would be Bass?

So, given the above, what would be the best 5 lures I could buy in order to improve her chances?

Thank you so much if you can give me some helpful information.
Shirl.

Go on to Aliexpress and buy a load of very cheap but also good knock offs. A single Patchencko is going to cost you about 20£ whereas you could buy 5 or more patchenko knock offs for the same price ! For £40 you could buy an amazing assortment of big brand knock offs . People on here have caught lots of fish on these knock offs remember the fish are seeing the lure as food not a designer product. I bought 4 Asturie knock offs for £12 inc p&p they have a great action in the water... one genuine Asturie costs about £25 !

No worries with knock offs!
Not like I'm buying proper cod gear!

In all seriousness, thank you for your advice ??
I really appreciate it, when it comes to lures I am clueless!

The thing about Aliexpress is you can find nearly a match for the lost popular brands. I also believe that you do not have to worry about hidden charges now because they add VAT or have some mechanism in place that spares you the need to pay VAT etc. I have bought good lures from a couple of sellers Kingdom lures and the other I used was Hunthouse . The lures and braid I bought are good and were delivered inside two weeks . Another guy on here advised me about what he had bought may have been Rock Rover?

Aliexpress all the way. These are good and cast like missiles
Fiish alternative number of stores do them I refuse to pay the Fiish prices.
Never found a good replacement for a Toby so buy the original. If you get sandeels on your beaches then think something that looks like one.
Redgill etc.
Keep up the fly fishing lessons :)

No worries with knock offs!
Not like I'm buying proper cod gear!

In all seriousness, thank you for your advice ??
I really appreciate it, when it comes to lures I am clueless!
Another vote for the pearl seeker, on aliexpress, le fish do a good patchinko copy, aoclu for a feedshallow copy, their white cp105 is the dogs and smart do a good ima hound copy for when you need a lure that digs into the swell, can't go wrong with a dexter wedge copy as well..

There's no specific rule of thumb then?
More wind more weight?
Greater depth more weight?

Generally speaking the lures you buy will be either sinking or floating and have a degree of depth of sink. Some sinking lures go down like a lump of lead others are gentle sinkers. The lure weight aspect is really dependent on your rod you are using. For example if the rod is say 10 to 40g it is designed to cast lures within that range... you cannot just decide because it is windy to try out a 50 or 60g lure as you may well damage the rod. What you do tend to find with lures is that sinkers length for weight tend to be shorter than floaters.

There's no specific rule of thumb then?
More wind more weight?
Greater depth more weight?
Some lures cast better than others, Patchinkos, Asturie, Hounds, Sasuke, Assassins etc all cast well and come in various lengths and weights. The Patch and Asturie are designed to be worked at the surface the others are all floaters that dive when retrieved to various depths but not very deep. Ideal for shallow water. Seekers come in various sizes and like all metal lures they will sink and keep on sinking but the Seeker can be fished quite high in the water because it won't sink as fast as a Toby. Sinking hard plastics sink at various rates depending how much weight is stuffed inside them or in some cases they make deep divers that float at rest.
Like any rod a lure rod will have a sweet spot when it comes to lure weight but it should handle the specified rating adequately. Doubt you will need very fast sinkers where you will be fishing.

That's funny is it..?
That's what I do..no wonder I don't catch nuffink.
I thought you were trying to be funny!
The thread was about Lure s & Lure Rods. If you're fishing with lures as mentioned, you should match the casting weight of the rod to the lures you are using, so you shouldn't need to add any weights.
You wouldn't use a lure rod rated for 30gms for example for casting out Mackerel Feathers, but it would be fine for a 28gm lure.
If casting out Feathers from, say a Bass rod rated for 100gms, I would suggest using a Dexter wedge or Toby lure instead of a weght as it increases your chances of catching because it has a hook on it.

That's funny is it..?
That's what I do..no wonder I don't catch nuffink.
Titter ye not!
I saw a young man who was using a beach caster, probably about 13ft 4-5oz with a multiplier and he was wanging out about 150-180 yards with a bomb and a yellow soft plastic lure. He was catching multiple decent pollock and I was using state of the art high end lure gear and blanking as the reef he was targeting was out of my casting range.
So yes, every option is worth considering. He was fishing for food, I was fishing for fun! Every dog has it’s day.

The thing I pick up on in your original post is the water colour Shirleycodlin. I don't know the areas you and Jax fish so can't give proper advice like I'm sure local anglers could. I can say that my local area is 99% clean sand and with its 10m+ tidal range is almost always coloured - it's effectively liquid sand until you get a long way off shore unless there has been a long period of the dreaded east winds which knacker it completely anyway! We've found lure fishing from the shore almost futile - it's that 'almost' bit that keeps me trying but then I do like a challenge/am slightly mad. Lure fishing from the boat is a different story as you can find clear water (if indeed there is any) and also you can access features like wrecks and boulders etc that you just can't from the shore.
One lure I would not be without is the Flying C - black with a silver blade particularly but also yellow, white etc Cheap and way more effective than the £30 bits of Japanese jewellery that I know work well in areas with clear water and structure within easy casting distance.

You can't cast a standard Redgill very far without some weight which would depend on how far you want to cast and how deep you want to fish. Salmon spinning was often a Devon minnow on a fixed paternoster which let you fish the lure around slower and hang it in various areas.
In the US they fish bucktails with a teaser something I intend trying over here add on using something like a Bombarda and there are loads of options out there. If you are fishing for meat then the most effective way is the best way.

Back