• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Asking for a friend

Shirleycodlin

I am the god of hell fire
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there lure folk.

Im a bit stuck and in need of help.

Much to my disgust Jax really seems to have gotten the lure bug, despite only catching a few Mackerel last summer. My problem is twofold. Firstly, I would teach her to fish properly with a fly rod, but after one attempt, I can see that that would be a very very long road. So, its to the lures she must go and there lies my second problem.
I dont have a ruddy clue what to buy.
Rod, reel and braid are sorted, but what lures? As far as I can make out, it seems the higher the price the more stupid the name and thus more gullible one must be to purchase one?

So, to help you answer, I can part with the following information:
We fish over clean ground from classic long distance casting COD beaches. The water sometimes clears to nearly 'gin clear' but more often than not has some to quite a bit of colour in it.
The main features are either the 'gutter' between shingle and sand over high water or gullies and sand banks if we fish over low water.
The main point of this fishing is quick local spur of the moment trips. So venturing off to possibly better locations is a bit pointless for us.
I guess her main target species would be Bass?

So, given the above, what would be the best 5 lures I could buy in order to improve her chances?

Thank you so much if you can give me some helpful information.
Shirl.

Hi there lure folk.

Im a bit stuck and in need of help.

Much to my disgust Jax really seems to have gotten the lure bug, despite only catching a few Mackerel last summer. My problem is twofold. Firstly, I would teach her to fish properly with a fly rod, but after one attempt, I can see that that would be a very very long road. So, its to the lures she must go and there lies my second problem.
I dont have a ruddy clue what to buy.
Rod, reel and braid are sorted, but what lures? As far as I can make out, it seems the higher the price the more stupid the name and thus more gullible one must be to purchase one?

So, to help you answer, I can part with the following information:
We fish over clean ground from classic long distance casting COD beaches. The water sometimes clears to nearly 'gin clear' but more often than not has some to quite a bit of colour in it.
The main features are either the 'gutter' between shingle and sand over high water or gullies and sand banks if we fish over low water.
The main point of this fishing is quick local spur of the moment trips. So venturing off to possibly better locations is a bit pointless for us.
I guess her main target species would be Bass?

So, given the above, what would be the best 5 lures I could buy in order to improve her chances?

Thank you so much if you can give me some helpful information.
Shirl.

Id look at the following lure wise......

Sunslicker Mishna’s, get the lemon meringue colour with the matching jig heads. Very good SP’s and constantly get me fish. The lemon meringue colour will catch in both clean and dirty water.

I’d look at adding a savage gear seeker/seekers as a metal option. Personally the 23g green/silver sandeel type colour has done well for me.

Staying with savage gear is next look at the 125 sized pencil rated 19g, like the seeker will cover a lot of water due to its casting ability and more importantly catches bass. Also savage gear aren’t as expensive as some lures on the market.

Depending on the type of conditions you’re likely to be out fishing in I’d look hard lure wise at the IMA Komomo 2 for calm conditions ( Dives to 20cm ) or if looking for a deeper diving lure or one to grip in in rougher conditions I’d go the IMA Hound Glide.

Surface wise you won’t go wrong with any of the Xorus Patchinko lures, if only wanting one size I’d go with the 125. Casts as well as it’s bigger brother but a smaller profile and lands with a little more finesse as the smaller version.

Hope some of that helps. ?

Back