• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East Avoiding the weed paid off

Stormtrooper

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi all, the weed all along the N.Kent coast is diabolical at the moment as I’m sure you all know. I usually persevere through it but as the tides are growing, it’s just become impossible.
so what to do?
Thursday night I opted for a different approach and took myself off for a session on the lures. This is something I’ve not done for a few years but more to the point, something I’ve been wholly unsuccessful at. In fact, I’ve never caught a (proper) fish with a lure!!
I got to my spot and started ‘flicking’. There was a guy to my right doing the same so I figured I was in the right place. About half an hour went by when I had my first take, my heart almost pounded out of my chest through excitement. But no sooner had I hooked it, the fish slipped the lure and was gone. I quickly retrieved and recast to the same area, fish on again!!
This time I managed to capture my prize, it was a small bass, about 35-40cm but I really didn’t care, I was ecstatic to have finally caught a fish on a lure!!
I carried on and had 3 more good takes but managed to lose them all. I probably gave up a little early but the rod I was using wasn’t ideal and after a couple of hours became too heavy so I called it a night.
Friday night came and the wife had a friend over for a movie, not wanting to watch ‘Magic Mike’ I naturally headed for the shingle again.
I didn’t fancy another session with the lures and definitely didn’t want to battle weed all night so I headed to East Kent in search of a relaxing session even if there wasn’t much promise of fish.
I got set up with the intention of targeting a hound or two but after the first 20mins, the tide kicked in really hard. It wasn’t dragging me off but it was pulling the rod tips right over, I just knew I wouldn’t catch like this.
Rather than give up straight away though, I changed tactic and plopped a whole squid in close, out of the tide run.
Dogfish! Not what I was hoping for but at least no blank.
I reset and went again. I had a short wait before pow! The rod slammed over, not a dog!! My first bass of the evening soon came out and went 1lbs 14oz, 47cm.
I carried on like this for the rest of the night, even packing up my second rod as a lost cause.
I managed 2 more bass with the best going 3lbs, 53cm as well as 6-7 dogs. I stayed far too late, until my bait ran out! But it was a nice weed-free and relaxing session. Just what the Dr ordered!!
2182AFDE-8284-418E-AAED-C38484581C0F.jpeg512A03F4-2E92-4647-9E35-11B33B2A7CD9.jpeg0E0C72B4-1986-486B-9D07-A99AB3A28715.jpeg63CEEAB7-A937-4BB1-987A-4A4FB6B3C656.jpegCB423330-091B-4241-80E5-9F2B7E27A5FA.jpegBB1F8FE3-CD7D-4CF0-B2A7-72EA823E90DE.jpeg

Back