• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West BACK AT LAST

Tow-rag

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Hi folks.
Not been able to fish for what seems an eternity, but after a grueling two day work course I was just waiting for weather wind and tide to play ball and proper unwind.
My firm Qocked-up big time. The course was an advanced one for candidates experienced in electrical engineering... not a humble welder. I studied night after midnight trying to get my head around it as I was way out of my depth and stressed out of town, but come the exams... I passed, and with minimal cheating. Driving home from the training centre I had one thing only in mind... to get well bladdered celebrating. I had the following day off for good measure.
Next morning I am rudely awakened by my phone bleating. Hungover to hell, I still answer.
It's Baz.
"Hey Col"
"Nnnng"
"You okay mate? You sound like shyte"
I fill him in.
"Good for you mate, you passed despite being pitched in with a bunch of IT nerds. Bet you got well pi$$ed up, well done mate".
"Thanks Baz".
"So, you coming fishing Einstein?"
"Too right mate, Cfish says the Mackerel are in, but it's easterly winds, about 20 mph predicted at our spot."
"Might not be as bad as they say."
This is not like Baz, he normally folds at the slightest gust of a dreaded easterly.
He goes on..." Unless we go to Fraggle Rock, that's sheltered from the easterly."
Uh-oh, on all our visits there, I have only caught a solitary Whiting, and it was dead on arrival, all other times we blanked or got crabbed out, plus the hike there and back is torturous.
"Nah, let's go to Cfish county, I've hardly any Macks left in the freezer, I'll bring some weighty lures, what time is high?"
"Ten, get there for six-ish and we'll fish the flood".
I was looking forward to this, lots of fresh sea air to clean out my pipes.
Over to Baz's and transfer the gear, I'm already into my coffee. "Steady Col, it's one thing stemming a hangover, but I don't want you whizzing your tits off, you know what you're like".
Too much coffee does bring on my tourettes fair play but...
Nag nag nag...
I'll show him alright, just get me to the water's edge and I'll whizz those lures out.
When we reach the mark we are both knackered, it's been so long that we're out of practice...that and old age creeping up, plus my new hiking boots are hurting like hell despite being daubed in linseed oil and beeswax. Guess there's no short cut for breaking in good leather.
Nobody there but us, water is well choppy, but the wind has dropped and I take advantage tackling up double quick.
Baz: '"£uck me, that hike was a killer, you okay pi$$head?" I am too puffed out too answer him, and concentrate instead on the task in hand, not easy with Baz's float in the way.
Fifty casts in with this 40 g Dexter and my ribs are starting to ache like my poor feet. It just shows how out of condition you get. Then suddenly I get a take "fish on Baz", and it's a proper rod bender. He's well out so I leave the drag off and reel in steadily. Gaining ground now, but I can't work him to the top, can't be a Mack then... don't you just love the rush of excitement you get when you get a fish after what seems like ages? Closer now, and I move closer to the edge maintaining tension.
"Steady Col, don't fall in again"
Honestly, you can go off some people.
"Barry, remind me why I like you?"
" Because I look out for you, and without me, who else would enjoy your daft antics?"
A flash of blue and silver, average size Mackerel...so why the rod bender? When I have him in my hands I discover why. Foul hooked below the pectoral fins... still, I have won the free pint for first landed, and have one for the pot.
Baz quickly swaps float for lure, but I am back in first to bag another, and another, and yet more whoo-hoo! I am on a roll. Baz complains of aching ribs and reverts back to float. Meanwhile my tally has grown by seven. Baz's float finally yanks downwards, and he lands a nice Mack and says " mind if we pack up now, it's getting late?"
Bites have dried up by now, and I'm well happy with my stash. " Okay mate".
On the walk back he says " are those new boots?"
"Yes and they're absolutely killing me".
"Should have broken them in first".
No $hit Sherlock.
Cheers.
TR.

Last edited:
Hi folks.
Not been able to fish for what seems an eternity, but after a grueling two day work course I was just waiting for weather wind and tide to play ball and proper unwind.
My firm Qocked-up big time. The course was an advanced one for candidates experienced in electrical engineering... not a humble welder. I studied night after midnight trying to get my head around it as I was way out of my depth and stressed out of town, but come the exams... I passed, and with minimal cheating. Driving home from the training centre I had one thing only in mind... to get well bladdered celebrating. I had the following day off for good measure.
Next morning I am rudely awakened by my phone bleating. Hungover to hell, I still answer.
It's Baz.
"Hey Col"
"Nnnng"
I fill him in.
"Good for you mate, you passed despite being pitched in with a bunch of IT nerds. Bet you got well pi$$ed up, well done mate".
"Thanks Baz".
"Too right mate, Cfish says the Mackerel are in, but it's easterly winds, about 20 mph predicted at our spot."
This is not like Baz, he normally folds at the slightest gust of a dreaded easterly.
He goes on..." Unless we go to Fraggle Rock, that's sheltered from the easterly."
Uh-oh, on all our visits there, I have only caught a solitary Whiting, and it was dead on arrival, all other times we blanked or got crabbed out, plus the hike there and back is torturous.
"Nah, let's go to Cfish county, I've hardly any Macks left in the freezer, I'll bring some weighty lures, what time is high?"
Over to Baz's and transfer the gear, I'm already into my coffee. "Steady Col, it's one thing stemming a hangover, but I don't want you whizzing your tits off, you know what you're like".
Nag nag nag...
I'll show him alright, just get me to the water's edge and I'll whizz those lures out.
When we reach the mark we are both knackered, it's been so long that we're out of practice...that and old age creeping up, plus my new hiking boots are hurting like hell despite being daubed in linseed oil and beeswax. Guess there's no short cut for breaking in good leather.
Nobody there but us, water is well choppy, but the wind has dropped and I take advantage tackling up double quick.
Baz: '"£uck me, that hike was a killer, you okay pi$$head?" I am too puffed out too answer him, and concentrate instead on the task in hand, not easy with Baz's float in the way.
Fifty casts in with this 40 g Dexter and my ribs are starting to ache like my poor feet. It just shows how out of condition you get. Then suddenly I get a take "fish on Baz", and it's a proper rod bender. He's well out so I leave the drag off and reel in steadily. Gaining ground now, but I can't work him to the top, can't be a Mack then... don't you just love the rush of excitement you get when you get a fish after what seems like ages? Closer now, and I move closer to the edge maintaining tension.
" Because I look out for you, and without me, who else would enjoy your daft antics?"
A flash of blue and silver, average size Mackerel...so why the rod bender? When I have him in my hands I discover why. Foul hooked below the pectoral fins... still, I have won the free pint for first Andrews have one for the pot.
Baz quickly swaps float for lure, but I am back in first to bag another, and another, and yet more whoo-hoo! I am on a roll. Baz complains of aching ribs and reverts back to float. Meanwhile my tally has grown by seven. Baz's float finally yanks downwards, and he lands a nice Mack and says " mind if we pack up now, it's getting late?"
No $hit Sherlock.
Cheers.
TR.

The best bit!!!!
You DIDN'T fall into the sea!!!!

Wot no Incidents wtf Toey I thought that the way that first Mac went you were gonna tell us you hooked one of they mermaids ?‍♀️ that @Cfish gets a traveler about ma Bute great read tho and well done on being a clever twat ??

Nice one Toey! Well done on the course exams, nice haul of Macker too. Your reports have been seriously missed! ???

Wot no Incidents wtf Toey I thought that the way that first Mac went you were gonna tell us you hooked one of they mermaids ?‍♀️ that @Cfish gets a traveler about ma Bute great read tho and well done on being a clever twat ??
Actually mate.
I did hook a Mermaid, but she was a bit undersize...
The second was better, but snagged me up in the kelp.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210617-100039.png
    Screenshot_20210617-100039.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20210617-102411.png
    Screenshot_20210617-102411.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Actually mate.
I did hook a Mermaid, but she was a bit undersize...
The second was better, but snagged me up in the kelp.
The 2nd one looks like she has bin dragged through the Kelp (and mud) backwards Toey! What wus you up to? ??

Hi folks.
It's Baz.
"Hey Col"
"Nnnng"
I fill him in.
"Thanks Baz".
Nag nag nag...
A flash of blue and silver, average size Mackerel...so why the rod bender? When I have him in my hands I discover why. Foul hooked below the pectoral fins... still, I have won the free pint for first landed, and have one for the pot.
No $hit Sherlock.
Cheers.
TR.

Great read Tow-rag. I dream about hooking mackerel again.?

Back