• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Back in the groove.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Since my first lure caught bass of 2022 in late March, I’ve had a run of 3 blanks but last weekend I heard stories of the bass finally starting to show in numbers. This gave my confidence a massive boost, and I set off on Monday evening full of hope for a productive session. I arrived at my chosen mark to find calm conditions, but with quite a severe ripple on the water’s surface due to a stiff breeze. The water clarity was still excellent though, and the wind was forecast to drop away to nothing after dark (y).

I started fishing about half an hour after low water and the first 20 minutes were quiet, but I had just clipped on a Ruf Manic in white when it all kicked off. First cast with the Manic resulted in a solid take, and the fish put up a great scrap in the moderate flow. I took my time though and after an exciting few minutes, I safely landed my second bass of the year. At 50cm it was an identical size to my first fish and I was chuffed to bits ?.
Bass-2_2022.jpg

I wasted no time in getting back out in the water and the next 20 minutes was absolutely hectic, with 2 more schoolies and a small pollack caught, plus another couple of fish hooked and lost. As well as this, I had lots of hits which sadly didn’t result in hook-ups, but eventually, just as suddenly as the bass had appeared in front of me, they just vanished again :cry:.

I was sure the bass would be back at some point so I fished it hard, changing lures on a regular basis, but the bass were nowhere to be found :unsure:. I persevered though and eventually, 3 and a half hours after my first one I hooked and landed bass number 4 of the evening, another decent specimen of 48cm on a yellow Patchinko ?.
Bass-5_2022.jpg

I hoped this might signal the start of another mad busy spell, but sadly I didn’t get another touch for the remainder of the night, so I called it quits at 00:30. After 5 hours of fishing in rather chilly conditions, I was glad to finally be off the mark properly, but more than anything I was pleased to return to my nice warm car for the drive home ?.

Back