• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Bagnall bar

Mike hemming

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I don’t really get this , can anyone honestly say there catch rate has gone up using the bagnall bar , how about bite detection surly it’s not as good as mono , is there any real advantage using one

I had to Google it ,I'd never heard of it,I looked at the pictures & I can't see how it would help bite detection,just by looking at it I would just use mono, hope this helps

Love em on braid so bite detection is not an issue just allows me to get a delicate worm bait out further great for plaice on chisel but orso good for sole but has my catch rate gone up id like to say yes but that’s probably cause I’ve improved as an angler I just find them easy to use and simple and can adapt them depending on the species I’m chaseing Chuck a yellow pop up on it great for bream heavier gauge hook find a ray if the spiders are out in force east to ties new hook rather than lose a whole rig it’s a marmite product and I’m a big fan then they dint cover every scenario I’d never take em Hussing or wrasseing but on clean beach’s down here and on chisel I think there the nuts not many species I haven’t had on them plaice sole bass dogs ray red mullet mackreal gar bream pout whiteing hounds conger there good cause there a simple way of putting a long trace a decent distance whould I target hounds on the Bristol Channel with them f@@k no but for species hunting on the clean beaches there the nuts in my eyes .

Started using this rig recently. Love it, don’t know why i have not used it sooner. I get better bite detection on this than a pulley or pulley droper etc. don’t know why ?? i use the mono version rather the metal bar.

I do use a bar rig when I'm struggling for distance and I do like the idea of the bait being away from the lead, but why limit your catch rate? Those anglers that do best are the ones who can stick 3 baits a long long way. Especially when it comes to venues like chesil. Multi hook rigs allow you to catch multiple fish in one cast. The bar rig has its limitations. Long loop rigs or even your 3 hook clip down IMO are better rigs. But hey, if using a bar rig works for you then great. I do use a bar rig sometimes when Ray fishing on clean venues as I can use a long hookink at distance but equally I often use a loop rig which I find deadly for Ray fishing in clearer water. I've been lucky enough to land double shots of 5lb cod, 2lb10oz plaice and 4lb cod, triple shots of plaice, triple shots of bream etc... Which wouldn't be possible using a bar rig.

I do use a bar rig when I'm struggling for distance and I do like the idea of the bait being away from the lead, but why limit your catch rate? Those anglers that do best are the ones who can stick 3 baits a long long way. Especially when it comes to venues like chesil. Multi hook rigs allow you to catch multiple fish in one cast. The bar rig has its limitations. Long loop rigs or even your 3 hook clip down IMO are better rigs. But hey, if using a bar rig works for you then great. I do use a bar rig sometimes when Ray fishing on clean venues as I can use a long hookink at distance but equally I often use a loop rig which I find deadly for Ray fishing in clearer water. I've been lucky enough to land double shots of 5lb cod, 2lb10oz plaice and 4lb cod, triple shots of plaice, triple shots of bream etc... Which wouldn't be possible using a bar rig.
Totally agree but if your not a supercaster this rig comes into its own but again very rarely use it if match fishing with 1 rod 3 hooks rule

It's not something I've tried, but did think about trying to make a couple and try them a few days ago, as Tom from Christchurch Angling put up a good video about them.

Never thought of using a wishbone on it? Thats got to be worth a try!
Make mine out of 100lb mono use wishbones and pennels also plus with heavy hook links ive modded system to use larger swivel on hook snood with clip up on rig body instead of cascade swivels

I don’t really get this , can anyone honestly say there catch rate has gone up using the bagnall bar , how about bite detection surly it’s not as good as mono , is there any real advantage using one
i am with you mike..... a loop rig will outfish it for flats. I like a 12in long mono version for biggish baits but for worm baits just dont get it.

I'm clearly being a bit thick here.
What is the benefit of this rig?
As far as I can tell, it's meant to be a short streamlined rig but with a bloody great loop of line flapping around?
Why not just use a standard clipped down rig or an up and over? All clipped in under tension behind the lead without a loop of line flapping around.

As far as I can tell, it's meant to be a short streamlined rig but with a bloody great loop of line flapping around?
Why not just use a standard clipped down rig or an up and over? All clipped in under tension behind the lead without a loop of line flapping around.
I think the idea behind it is that a shorter rig will cast further, even with the loop of trailing line. An up and over would be very similar. We use similar rigs in the bristol channel, but extremely short pully rigs. They cast like a bullet and certainly don't put the rays off!

Tataly agree with you shirley , i use running leadgers and clipped down rigs , up n overs, all have great bite detection, but how on earth is a metal bar going to register tiny nibbles,

Tataly agree with you shirley , i use running leadgers and clipped down rigs , up n overs, all have great bite detection, but how on earth is a metal bar going to register tiny nibbles,
Simple answer here Mike get one and try it like I said it’s marmite but they do cast like bullets my mate uses them on mono never has any problems with Bite detection

Back