• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Bagnall bar

The closer the rig parts like top swivel is to the lead the less air Friction/resistance/drag as it's within the disturbed air/drag around the lead which pushes the air away/around lead.
where as longer rig you get more air friction/resistance/drag from the two lines moving around between them as rigs often wobble in flight esp those fat arsed Tronix pulley beads which you can see going all over when someone casts them.
So with those lines under tension they squeeze and move air creating linear drag while the loop of line is free to flow as the air takes it so isn't an issue as drag is minimal.
You also get whats termed/called Parasite drag from parts stuck out in airflow which increase drag.

Look at the way a boats hull goes through the water stick anything to side in high pressure flow and see difference

Aeronautical and Aerodynamic Engineering explains it if like to read up on it?

Bite wise rigs don't just sit there they roll around facing various direction but a simple way to describe is if something is pulling on hook the fulcrum leverage principal means the leader end of bar is pulled to one side meaning lines yanked.
Mine have swivel set further up body and as mono body can do whatever it likes!

I've just made one of these rigs and will give it a go.
Have to say I really don't like the loop of line flapping around. Same as a loop rig.
I'm far happier with everything clipped up and streamlined.

I had a look at these a while back and considered them just another bit of ironmongery to litter the seas with on snagging or crackoffs. I couldn't see any real advantage over mono, but as always I will stand to be corrected....

Ive been using mono bar rigs quite alot recently. I wouldnt say its made my catch rate go up but it has given me the ability to get some extra yards on my cast for sure. Which some times can be an advantage. Only been using them for worm baits.

Back