• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Bait boards (Boat) - Whats best ?

I have a berth in Banff but with all the harbour renovations we have moved it up to Rosehearty. There are a few spots I want to try up there
The harbour master is a nice guy and was helpful with marks, weather conditions and fishing reports if you give him a call. Unfortunately covid scuppered last year so no first hand experience.

Magma make great boards. I use a smaller one that has the locking mount that suits rod holders.
Hooked & Messy on Facebook are making nice boards and various holders. Not sure what their bracket options are.

I was thinking of getting one of These and attaching a cheap chopping board to it. The guts and stuff would be collected in the recessed bit at the back. ?

I was thinking of getting one of These and attaching a cheap chopping board to it. The guts and stuff would be collected in the recessed bit at the back. ?
Good idea, the thought of catching the juices is interesting, most people just let them run off or "flick things over the side but I guess this would/could keep the boat cleaner?(y)
One thing on that tray, they tend to be a bit flimsy, if it's made from PE it would be fine but if it was PP it would crack when near zero temps, I've searched and it does'nt say which type, typically :sneaky:

@SteveT Worth trying at that price, I’ll report back on whether it’s the bendy or brittle plastic. The standard size 9 inch one I use for painting has been indestructible. If this larger one is same I’ll be a happy bunny.

@SteveT The paint roller tray is reasonably blendy, should be okay. If I stand on it no doubt it’ll break but should work okay. Going to bolt the chopping board in and make a holder for a knife. That’s a 6inch blade for reference and the tray is the large size in link. Suppose you could add a mount but being a cheapskate I’ll just have it on rear bench. The tray bit is going to be good for collecting the blood and guts. 194EC1D1-E7FB-4254-99AD-3A498A61EC70.jpeg

A floaty one..?
Best had be, I can imagine it flying off the back of the boat if not careful. I’m thinking of making a mount that slots into the existing socket in gunnels that the row locks use.

I blame to lockdown for having too much time to think about this stuff. I’d rather be out fishing.......

Chop the bait up on the kitchen worktop, then the misses will throw you out so you can then go fishing - sorted ;)

Best Shark I’ll catch is a Dogfish, but I isnee filletin one of them.
We get as well as doggies, smooth hounds and spur dogs down our way in the channel.

there all dogfish to me! What I can never get my head around is people actually paying to fish for them on a boat!
Agree C I catch the things from the shore, only thing it cost me is the bait if I can't get there at low tide to get it.

just cut the stuff at home, dump in a bucket - sorted. Now what was the question?

Back