• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • View the website advertisement free.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Bait where from and what kinds

Thrasher

Reaction score
I have been thinking about this and my bait years ago only consisted of blow lug, mussel and squid. Squid I reluctantly bought the other two I could collect myself.
In the freezer I now have tackle shop bought squid, mackerel, bluey and some sandeel. Supermarket whitebait off the cheap shelf, three launce caught by me and some rainbow trout to try out as a result of a knackered freezer so thought no point in wasting it.
No blacks and I seldom manage to dig lug, kills my back these days. Hopefully the bait pump might help that.
Strange how things change, finances mostly and time to collect, must try a bit hardrr this year.

Last edited:

DINOBOY

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
I forgot to add I one accidentally turned off a jam packed upright bait freezer once and never noticed till I smelt it lol oh dear oh dear that was BAAAAD. LOL.

Dutchman

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
I forgot to add I one accidentally turned off a jam packed upright bait freezer once and never noticed till I smelt it lol oh dear oh dear that was BAAAAD. LOL.
The first years we had caravan i never turned fridge freezer off just left on lowest setting after draining down for winter when we not there. The second winter must have been that cold and had power cuts. The first time back could tell the electric must had been off as the freezer had defrosted and the base inside was full off ice.
The only thing left inside was mackerel and a box of squid, started to defrost it and then it started to stink!!!!

Tatunka joe

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this and my bait years ago only consisted of blow lug, mussel and squid. Squid I reluctantly bought the other two I could collect myself.
In the freezer I now have tackle shop bought squid, mackerel, bluey and some sandeel. Supermarket whitebait off the cheap shelf, three launce caught by me and some rainbow trout to try out as a result of a knackered freezer so thought no point in wasting it.
No blacks and I seldom manage to dig lug, kills my back these days. Hopefully the bait pump might help that.
Strange how things change, finances mostly and time to collect, must try a bit hardrr this year.
Graham pullen uses trout in Bristol Channel works quite well apparently 👍

Redneck Dek

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I read somewhere that somebody had a Dogfish jump out of the fridge a full day after they had put it in there. Their nervous system can twitch a long time after they are dead apparently. :(:(
Eels go on for ages🤣they still twitch about in the pan even after being skinned and cut into chunks 😋😋

flappy

Reaction score
have a chest freezer just for bait come winter like to have at least 400 peeler 200 cart wings 500 black lug squid & razors we buy in bulk between couple of mates add to that with what I can pick up when tides are favourable
Quick question..I thought that cart was crab innards..and was stuffed into mesh bandage..so how come people call it wings..?

Thrasher

Reaction score
Quick question..I thought that cart was crab innards..and was stuffed into mesh bandage..so how come people call it wings..?
Here is an article on it.

flappy

Reaction score
Cheers..have access to loads of edible crabs..but never used it as bait..is it any good for other species..?..as I don't fish when its cold weather.

grinner

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Cheers..have access to loads of edible crabs..but never used it as bait..is it any good for other species..?..as I don't fish when its cold weather.
cart is a winter bait now is the time of year they produce the corral i.e eggs thats the bright red .orange bits

grinner

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I have tried to catch Pollack ..coalies and cod etc from rock marks..but have had about twenty blanks on the trot..so I just fish surf beaches for turbo and flounders..at least I catch something.
some nice bass fishing up your way
come summer get yourself some peeler crab
how you fishing bait & lure?

flappy

Reaction score
some nice bass fishing up your way
come summer get yourself some peeler crab
how you fishing bait & lure?
Tried both..a few marks produced Pollack.on sabikis. .but only to about 10 oz..always wonderedif there's bigger stuff there..or just I'm fishing a nursery area..?

grinner

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Tried both..a few marks produced Pollack.on sabikis. .but only to about 10 oz..always wonderedif there's bigger stuff there..or just I'm fishing a nursery area..?
not going to ask whereabouts your fishing but you've got some of the best coastline going spoilt for Choice keep moving you'll find the better fish