• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • View the website advertisement free.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Bait where from and what kinds

had1lost2

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I was surprised reading some of the bass catches from Scotland last year loads of bigguns ... same as all fish location is the key..
from what i can gather there's a lot of average areas scattered with some real hot spots ... compared to down here where some towns you can just plot up anywhere and fish will pass with the tide ... think it's more specific up there ?

grinner

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I was surprised reading some of the bass catches from Scotland last year loads of bigguns ... same as all fish location is the key..
from what i can gather there's a lot of average areas scattered with some real hot spots ... compared to down here where some towns you can just plot up anywhere and fish will pass with the tide ... think it's more specific up there ?
shhhhhhhhh can't say to much some of wsf bass police are on here now 🤫

Seabob

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
I have tried to catch Pollack ..coalies and cod etc from rock marks..but have had about twenty blanks on the trot..so I just fish surf beaches for turbo and flounders..at least I catch something.
Tell me about it, really hard to find the fish. Very different to South West. Up here there’s a two month window for Mackerel but they are still catching down in Plymouth this month.

Just have to pick your month / location / species.
Winter / west coast/ Spurdog and skate
Winter / east coast/ cod
Mid summer/ east coast/ mackerel

Boats give you more options and longer windows IF the sea conditions are good- which they are often not.

Or retreat to a fresh water loch for Pike - no season for them up here.

Beach

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I got a 6ft chest freezer in the garage loaded with bins full of shark chum, blocks of squid, blocks of bluey, 5 stone of mackerel, razor, sandeel, launce, 700 blacks, 100 crab, 20 spider peelers, plus more stuff lol. gotta have bait.
The fish & gulls will be queuing up when you get out on the water.

grinner

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
One of the more unusual catches last year was a seagull. Un-tangling line from a wing whilst there is a sharp beak having a go is no fun. :mad:
had a guillemot last year while using sabikis for sandeels Jesus took two of us to untangle it feisty little sucker

Dutchman

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
I got a 6ft chest freezer in the garage loaded with bins full of shark chum, blocks of squid, blocks of bluey, 5 stone of mackerel, razor, sandeel, launce, 700 blacks, 100 crab, 20 spider peelers, plus more stuff lol. gotta have bait.
I would rather have the freezer full of fish i had caught.;);)

grinner

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I’m laughing but I’ve got an under counter one full of bait and the only fish in there I caught is mackerel🤣and I’m waiting on a second hand fridge freezer for the shack 👍
all proper fishermen have bait fridge freezer these lure fishermen are all under the thumb BOSS of the house won't let them keep real baits 😆😆😆

Stevie69

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I normally buy my bait from local tackle shop I used to dig it myself but it's getting harder as I get older any surplus fresh bait I keep in a bucket with an air stone to keep the sea water air rated change the water every 24 hrs keep 3 1.5 ltr bottles with sea water in next to the bucket so it's the same temp for water changes also have a drawer in the freezer just for frozen baits. I've had these a few weeks now haven't lost 1 yet. IMG_20210120_191020.jpg

Trampster

Reaction score
One of the more unusual catches last year was a seagull. Un-tangling line from a wing whilst there is a sharp beak having a go is no fun. :mad:
Usually pays to put a towel over the head.
The Seagull's head, not your own! 😂😂

Thrasher

Reaction score
I normally buy my bait from local tackle shop I used to dig it myself but it's getting harder as I get older any surplus fresh bait I keep in a bucket with an air stone to keep the sea water air rated change the water every 24 hrs keep 3 1.5 ltr bottles with sea water in next to the bucket so it's the same temp for water changes also have a drawer in the freezer just for frozen baits. I've had these a few weeks now haven't lost 1 yet. View attachment 4441
You must be close to the sea to get fesh sea water regulalrly?

Cfish

Reaction score
Grab it round the neck can't peck you then,might flap it's wings a bit.
Seriously grab it's neck and tuck it under your arm,using other hand unhook or untangle/cut line!! Same as if a goose trys it on grab round neck,throw across yard and repeat untill goose is showing respect!!! If it's a pissed off swan you may have to.spin it like you were throwing the hammer on the sports field.!!!