• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Bait where from and what kinds

jambop

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Rotten weather nowt to do so just thinking about the season ahead and bait sourcing came to mind. When I was back in Scotland I used to be able to collect my bait from the shore. Lug, rag, crabs and mussels were the usual baits. Now I don't live by the sea that is not an option so I think I will be supermarket shopping for sardines, mackerel, small squid/ octopus and prawns for bait. What do others do and use for bait?

peeler crab and the competition around here for collecting them causes me stress every spring haha !!
always worth having a few boxes of calamari in the freezer . had so many species on it my fave all rounder and convenient no stressing about having decent bait each time . fresh crab is best when there in though

Limited on freezer space, so it is a job to know what to use. I'm not a fan of ordering & going out to buy fresh bait or worms, and then not being able to actually go fishing due to the weather, health issues etc. I mentioned recently that I fancied one of these Fox Arma Mesh tools to make up soft bait 'sausages' & freeze them, and it's supposed to help with attacks by the dreaded Crabs. I have been thinking about some supermarket Prawns to hide in a corner of the freezer. There seems to be a mass of conflicting opinions on cooked Vs raw, peeled Vs shell on, and raw shell-on King Prawns seem to be favourite, but not found any yet - not really able to get out & look due to lockdown.

Rotten weather nowt to do so just thinking about the season ahead and bait sourcing came to mind. When I was back in Scotland I used to be able to collect my bait from the shore. Lug, rag, crabs and mussels were the usual baits. Now I don't live by the sea that is not an option so I think I will be supermarket shopping for sardines, mackerel, small squid/ octopus and prawns for bait. What do others do and use for bait?
What options do you have close by?

What options do you have close by?
Really only the supermarket but the bonus is they keep all sorts of goodies fresh and frozen. I really do not have a problem using bought baits if the catch fish great... if they don't its a sea food cocktail for dinner :ROFLMAO: . When it comes to fresh wild bait my options are limited by time, I have to drive a good bit to get the the marks so I don't want to have to start searching for bait I want to get fishing.
It looks like we could be getting a nice bit of warmer weather about ten days or so time so I may be down having a cast then. If I do I will do a report from your foreign correspondent at St Jean de Luz :D I have no idea what fish are around at this time of year but sea bass are said to be around nearly all year round, Think if I caught any they would go back but nice if I managed to hook something.

Fish and shellfish are likely to be your friends as you listed in your first post. Maybe see what you can collect when you have finished your session to freze down?

A place i go i set a rod up and then search the seaweed for crabs, get loads and then use second rod with bait and also lure fish at same time.

Or if you use mussles you may find plenty close by.

always use the summer months to stock the freezer up ready for the coming winter I never rely or take the risk of getting bait through the coldest months can always get a few worm on the biggest tides but its always hard work this years been poor year for fishing still got a lot of frozen bait
Could only keep a bit of mackerel and squid in caravan freezer as not that great room and wife would go a bit wild, will try and get some frozen razors this time.

Ha, a couple of years ago had some crabs in recycle caddy with seaweed in under steps of caravan, she goes out for e cig and comes in and says there's a funny grating noise every time i go out own steps, :LOL::LOL: its only the crabs moving round!

You'll probably have more choice in a French supermarket or fish stall because they eat all sorts of stuff. Shellfish is normally a good bet because it most be sold live or live frozen unless it has been cooked. I can remember seeing all sorts of live clams for sale even in inland markets

Last edited:
You'll probably have more choice in a French supermarket of fish stall because they eat all sorts of stuff. Shellfish is normally a good bet because it most be sold live or live frozen unless it has been cooked. I can remember seeing all sorts of live clams for sale even in inland markets
Bet it's cheaper there as well.

No shed or utility room? They only take up as much room as a modest chest of drawers ??‍♂️

Always room somewhere - throw out the TV or dishwasher ?
No garage or utility space - I've got a small shed that is overflowing with gardening gear, lawn mower, and other stuff I can't keep indoors. No power to it either, and in too much of an awkward location to run a permanent supply to it.

No garage or utility space - I've got a small shed that is overflowing with gardening gear, lawn mower, and other stuff I can't keep indoors. No power to it either, and in too much of an awkward location to run a permanent supply to it.
Booo! Have to get rid of the dishwasher then! ??‍♂️

A freezer is just the right size to fit in that space ?

We got rid of ours years ago, with a tumble dryer taking its place, far more useful!

If you don’t have one, you’ll just have to move to a bigger house ??‍♂️

???

Booo! Have to get rid of the dishwasher then! ??‍♂️

A freezer is just the right size to fit in that space ?

We got rid of ours years ago, with a tumble dryer taking its place, far more useful!

If you don’t have one, you’ll just have to move to a bigger house ??‍♂️

???

Dishwasher? We've got two dishwashers in this household, and both of them have got 2 arms & 2 legs! ????

Back