• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Ballans in the mist.

bananas

Reaction score
Got a mate down from London for a few days fishing, so yesterday we headed to a small South Hams beach, it was over cast when got there with a bit of a surf running in. You get lots a walkers and dogs on this beach and as I was setting up a couple came over for a chat, usual stuff, "what you hope to catch, how long you staying", while chatting id baited my first rod up and put him out, then done the 2nd, just as I put the rod in the rest, the 1st rod screamed off, could feel a good few head bangs and some thing heavy hanging on the line, I had a good idea what it was and sure enough through the surf came a lump of Ballan Wrasse, the couple was very impressed, fish went 3.8lb so not a bad size, got him back in the water, rebait, recast, just as the 2nd rod goes screaming off, another Ballan, bit smaller at just under 2.8lb, fish back in the water, then the 1st rod goes again, another 2 n half pounder, getting bloody hot now.
Managed to lose one in the surf as well, bugger. My mate had pulled a nice one in so was happy he not blanked. All this in first 20mins!!, had another nice bite but the reel didn't go off so guessed it wasn't going to be a biggie and was correct on that as was the first of 2 Dogfish of the session.
As the tide rose so did the weed, my mate was getting his line in the surf too much so was struggling with chunks of the stuff hanging on it, I was fairing a bit better with the weed and still pulling the odd 2- 2 1/2lber in. As the tide got to the top the weed dropped a bit but was replaced by mist, then fog ,then cant see feck all!!, managed to snatch a couple smaller hungry Pouting in the gloom, before we both decided to pack up as couldnt see each other and was a bit concerned about driving home in it.
Only a short sesh of about 3.1/2 hours but had 6 nice Ballans, 2 Dogfish and couple Pouting, so not too bad, not as bad as trying to drive home in the fog!!.

Quality sized wrasse ?

Nice session and a great report Bob! Proper bit of Wrasse Wrestling! Was hoping to be out later but Hip giving me grief.

Lovely session that we'll done?

I do love a wrasse, but not had a good one for a few years now unfortunately.
They do scap well on light gear.

Great little session. (y)

Ian.

Back