• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Review Berkley Spooling Station.

wingnut55

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Decided to purchase a Berkley Spooling Station to see if they were any good, like many of us, i normally just get a butt section and on goes the reel, line through the eye, trap the butt between the thighs, you know how it goes!!!!. But its so awkward and uncomfortable, and you just cant get the tension you would like, and your fingers start to ache after a while. I am in my early sixties now, and just wanted to be able to spool and respool my reels a bit easier and less hard work.
Well, this bit of kit is just the job, you mount your reel on the saddle, tighten it up, slide the spool of line on the spindle at the other end, center it with the brackets, get the tension you want and tighten the thumb screws up. It has round rubber feet that should stop it from moving if you use it on a table or bench, but i just put it on my lap, trap it between my knees to hold it steady, and away you go. I have a spool of mono and a spool of tapered leaders on the spindle, so once you have the required amount of line on the reel, just switch to the leader spool, tie your knot, and off you go again, simples!!!!

Cant praise this bit of kit enough, and i believe it does save time, when you have a few reels to spool up. So a big thumbs up from me.

Only problem i had, was my STR Kuros wouldn't mount on the saddle, it is square, and the Kuros are very low slung, and wont fit the normal way, so had to just tape the foot onto the saddle to hold it in place, not really a problem, just a slight niggle.

Ian.

Berkley 2.jpgBerkley 4.jpg
Berkley 5.jpg

Last edited:
Decided to purchase a Berkley Spooling Station to see if they were any good, like many of us, i normally just get a butt section and on goes the reel, line through the eye, trap the butt between the thighs, you know how it goes!!!!. But its so awkward and uncomfortable, and you just cant get the tension you would like, and your fingers start to ache after a while. I am in my early sixties now, and just wanted to be able to spool and respool my reels a bit easier and less hard work.
Well, this bit of kit is just the job, you mount your reel on the saddle, tighten it up, slide the spool of line on the spindle at the other end, center it with the brackets, get the tension you want and tighten the thumb screws up. It has round rubber feet that should stop it from moving if you use it on a table or bench, but i just put it on my lap, trap it between my knees to hold it steady, and away you go. I have a spool of mono and a spool of tapered leaders on the spindle, so once you have the required amount of line on the reel, just switch to the leader spool, tie your knot, and off you go again, simples!!!!

Cant praise this bit of kit enough, and i believe it does save time, when you have a few reels to spool up. So a big thumbs up from me.

Only problem i had, was my STR Kuros wouldn't mount on the saddle, it is square, and the Kuros are very low slung, and wont fit the normal way, so had to just tape the foot onto the saddle to hold it in place, not really a problem, just a slight niggle.

Ian.

View attachment 13356View attachment 13357
View attachment 13358

Looks like a good bit of kit, but it would take up a lot of storage space if you're limited on space, as I am. I bought a similar shaped arm with tension springs that fixes to a table with a suction cup. The suction cup is a pile of tat, but easily solved with a quick clamp. Works well, takes up little space, and was cheap as chips! I'll look for a pic.
1629756920336.png

They are useful ... until you try using the 1000m spools of Berkley Pro-Spec then your knackered! lol. Don't fit on the arm.

Picked one up a few years back at a boot sale. A lot better than the suction cap one, as kept coming off table.

Back