• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Best shallow river lures

joe cod

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi there chaps . Lure fishing is a technique ive not done alot of . Can anyone please put me on some good floating crankbait lures for shallow rivers that have enough weight in them to cast a decent distance that has caught you fish please . I have learnt some knowledge of chub lures that sizes need to be 4 to 5cm in length .
Im wondering if braid makes all the difference when lure fishing ? . I have used braid before while boat fishing and i missed alot of bites when using braid . And would using flourocarbon hooklengths increase your chances in a muddy coloured river ?

I wish I could offer you some advice but I'm afraid that my lure fishing results and skills would be like asking Norman wisdom to do a serious film.. ? but, your logic and theory is sound regarding braid and flouro. The braid gives good direct feel and the fluoro provided good rubbing resistance to snags.

Hi there chaps . Lure fishing is a technique ive not done alot of . Can anyone please put me on some good floating crankbait lures for shallow rivers that have enough weight in them to cast a decent distance that has caught you fish please . I have learnt some knowledge of chub lures that sizes need to be 4 to 5cm in length .
Im wondering if braid makes all the difference when lure fishing ? . I have used braid before while boat fishing and i missed alot of bites when using braid . And would using flourocarbon hooklengths increase your chances in a muddy coloured river ?
I've had chub on the small shakespeare s lures when although they dive a couple of feet. Mepps spinners are good as well just fish them shallow. If you look on ebay though you can find boxes of small trout and perch floating lures. I'd choose natural colours, dark on a bright day and light on a dark day
I'd try softs though, small shads on a lead head just bounced gently along especially at this time of year when the fish will be deep and not so eager to chase things

Last edited:
I thank you all for the help thats very appriciated for your advice . (y) Ile try give you a better idea on the fishing situation im trying to achieve .

This is the river i want to fish called the river alt . It gets very weeded up in the summer and is practically unfishable . But in the winter the weed dies back enough to fish . The ripples you can see along it are weedbeds . im looking for something that stays pretty shallow that dosnt dive very deep please.

Web capture_26-1-2021_191654_www.google.com.jpeg

Take a look here

I've had chub on the small shakespeare s lures when although they dive a couple of feet. Mepps spinners are good as well just fish them shallow. If you look on ebay though you can find boxes of small trout and perch floating lures. I'd choose natural colours, dark on a bright day and light on a dark day
I'd try softs though, small shads on a lead head just bounced gently along especially at this time of year when the fish will be deep and not so eager to chase things
Were those the plugs that were short chubby and perch coloured???

in a stream like that id be looking to use light weight rubber leadheads like valleyboy said ... if there's pike then it can be a toss up between fishing safely with wire or using flouro to get more perch and chub hits .
personally I don't like getting bit off so pike fish with lures and worm fish for the chub and perch lol

You need braid 20lb ,
Floating lures
Pichinko large and small
Gunfish 115
That’s a few good ones
Hope you got deep pockets ???

Thanks alot chaps . You have put me in the right directions on some great lure choices . ? I can come back to this thread and go through the many good lures people have already suggested nice 1 . (y)

Last edited:
I got my lure box out and found these 3 hard plastic plugs i can start with . I intend to replace the hazardous barbed treble hooks to instead size 4 barbless single hooks before using them.

The jellyworm i used a few weeks ago on the river alt and i had a few follows by nice sized chub but it just wasnt the right lure that they wanted .

P1020561.JPG

I also have some of these nice looking weighted jig head lures that were intended for LRF / sea fishing of rocks ect . But theyre just too heavy for and snag up to easily on the weedbeds .

P1020566.JPG

Last edited:
Dropshotting has been my most successful method this season. Braid to swivel, dropshot length of mono tied to bottom eye of swivel, short hook length tied to top eye of swivel. Weight needs to just hold bottom and adjust the dropshot length to suit the depth you want to fish the lure, usually I start at about 12". Fish it upstream and across and just bounce it back keeping the rod tip high. Chartreuse, pink and white when it is murky and more natural stuff when the river clears, worm, fish or grub type patterns up to 75mm but usually 50mm. Plugs I still have some Shakespeare Big S in mini or midi size up to 75mm work them slow, perch love them. No chub or barbel so far but lots of perch and pike.

Mepps flying condoms used to catch chub,pike and perch.
I have caught some salmon on them, also Mepps No.3 for Maddie bated for mullet, also small bass in tidal rivers. Mepps in fresh rivers for trout.

I have caught some salmon on them, also Mepps No.3 for Maddie bated for mullet, also small bass in tidal rivers. Mepps in fresh rivers for trout.
Sea trout aswell,a small mepps agalia? Used to be handy!!!!

Sea trout aswell,a small mepps agalia? Used to be handy!!!!
I always fly fish for sea trout, teal blue and silver on the dropper and thunder & lighting on the point. 6lb 4oz was my biggest.

Back