• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Beware 20% VAT duty for anything not from UK.

Beach

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I read in the news (maybe true ) that although import duty is not always charged, but reported that if purchased from the EU a 20% VAT will be charged. :(

I read in the news (maybe true ) that although import duty is not always charged, but reported that if purchased from the EU a 20% VAT will be charged. :(
Yes it`s true but it`s really no big deal, you are charged that on the majority of things you buy in UK anyway. Over certain amount the same 20% is charged for purchases anywhere in the world unless you are lucky and it sneaks through. Ordered an alloy reel seat from Germany last week, normally they put the VAT on at their rate, this time just the reel seat cost and the carriage, no VAT from them HMRC will no doubt whack it on when it arrives.

I`ve imported and distributed from Italy for around 30 years. Until 31st December Italy charged the VAT which was 22%. Now they ship direct without charging the 22% but HMRC here will charge 20%. A slight gain but HMRC may also add duty which could be 2.5% or more and the slimy shit heads (based on purchases from USA) take the value of your order e.g. £80, add the carriage say £20 gives you £100, they then put their 20% VAT on so now £120 AND THEN the slimes add the duty so they tax you on the tax.

Edit: Just has occasion to order a single rod tip (roller) from USA, this could fit inside a matchbox or jiffy envelope but I know of old, as it is from Mudhole this single tip roller will come in a Fedex box the size of an old fashioned telephone directory, fools. As a result look at the carriage charge. Again no tax, HMRC will bump me for that based on the cost AND the stupid carriage charge, slimes. Shipping is dearer than the item. slimes them as well

Subtotal (1 item) $46.95

$24.95 Shipping

$0.00 Tax

$71.90 Total

Last edited:
I got lucky last week when a Penn Conflict II was delivered from Poland. They removed the VAT from the price on their website and I was expecting to be stung when it got here, luckily I didn't get charged. I've got a pair of rods on their way from Italy that I didn't get charged VAT on, hopefully I won't get charged when they arrive either. I'm expecting to have to pay, but obviously hoping I don't.

Customs duty kicks in when the value is £130+, that and the VAT should be collected by the courier before you get the goods, so expect an admin charge as well. Only the VAT element is new post brexit. For goods cheaper than that, the VAT should be charged by the shop when you order..I have no idea how hmrc get their hands on it...

Yes it`s true but it`s really no big deal, you are charged that on the majority of things you buy in UK anyway. Over certain amount the same 20% is charged for purchases anywhere in the world unless you are lucky and it sneaks through. Ordered an alloy reel seat from Germany last week, normally they put the VAT on at their rate, this time just the reel seat cost and the carriage, no VAT from them HMRC will no doubt whack it on when it arrives.

I`ve imported and distributed from Italy for around 30 years. Until 31st December Italy charged the VAT which was 22%. Now they ship direct without charging the 22% but HMRC here will charge 20%. A slight gain but HMRC may also add duty which could be 2.5% or more and the slimy shit heads (based on purchases from USA) take the value of your order e.g. £80, add the carriage say £20 gives you £100, they then put their 20% VAT on so now £120 AND THEN the slimes add the duty so they tax you on the tax.

Edit: Just has occasion to order a single rod tip (roller) from USA, this could fit inside a matchbox or jiffy envelope but I know of old, as it is from Mudhole this single tip roller will come in a Fedex box the size of an old fashioned telephone directory, fools. As a result look at the carriage charge. Again no tax, HMRC will bump me for that based on the cost AND the stupid carriage charge, slimes. Shipping is dearer than the item. slimes them as well

Subtotal (1 item) $46.95

$24.95 Shipping

$0.00 Tax

$71.90 Total

Same here - I wanted to order a Koosie (beer can cooler) from a USA Youtuber I sub to. Folds flat so would go in what we would call a large envelope. Price of the Koosie $5, carriage set by the promo company that does his merchandise $37.40. I don't think I want one that bad,.

I bought a shimano ocea conquest 200hg from Japan late last year £320 delivered by FedEx, one week later the second part came from FedEx £90 import tax bill. I also bout a load of PE. Line at the same time but different seller. £70 odd no extra charges. If it’s below £130 you don’t pay Import tax. . on it. ?

Last edited:
Customs duty kicks in when the value is £130+, that and the VAT should be collected by the courier before you get the goods, so expect an admin charge as well. Only the VAT element is new post brexit. For goods cheaper than that, the VAT should be charged by the shop when you order..I have no idea how hmrc get their hands on it...
Yes I would like to know how a shop out in China or Japan adds the VAT on to goods on the UK governments behalf and ponies it up later. For example I heard on here that AliE now add vat to your order so that no VAT is then required to be paid in the UK... I would really like to know how that works.

The other day I received some stuff value 40€ from AliE and paid nothing for VAT although the guideline in France is that VAT is paid on anything of any value and if more than 150€ import tax is also due. What is interesting is that the package I received was posted in France although it came from China. I am expecting another package it was sent from China but is going to Belgium first is this their work around the package is sorted and then posted from Belgium thus sent from an EU country so no VAT applicable? There is a rule in France that if a package is sent by someone to someone but none business the there are no charges unless the value is greater than 45€ .
I used to buy on Ebay UK but won't be doing that anymore.

I bought a shimano ocea conquest 200hg from Japan late last year £320 delivered by FedEx, one week later the second part came from FedEx £90 import tax bill. I also bout a load of PE. Line at the same time but different seller. £70 odd no extra charges. If it’s below £130 you don’t pay VAT. on it. ?
You should always pay vat, only the customs charges depend on goods value

Yes I would like to know how a shop out in China or Japan adds the VAT on to goods on the UK governments behalf and ponies it up later. For example I heard on here that AliE now add vat to your order so that no VAT is then required to be paid in the UK... I would really like to know how that works.

The other day I received some stuff value 40€ from AliE and paid nothing for VAT although the guideline in France is that VAT is paid on anything of any value and if more than 150€ import tax is also due. What is interesting is that the package I received was posted in France although it came from China. I am expecting another package it was sent from China but is going to Belgium first is this their work around the package is sorted and then posted from Belgium thus sent from an EU country so no VAT applicable? There is a rule in France that if a package is sent by someone to someone but none business the there are no charges unless the value is greater than 45€ .
I used to buy on Ebay UK but won't be doing that anymore.
I think vat is also supposed to be charged if the seller is outside of the uk but delivers from uk stock but not experienced that one.
Im treating the ali tax grab as price rise..

I think vat is also supposed to be charged if the seller is outside of the uk but delivers from uk stock but not experienced that one.
Im treating the ali tax grab as price rise..
I really have no problem at all with the VAT charges what I do not like is the high rate the carriers charge for their handling of the VAT charge. Lets be clear when you buy something from a shop the VAT is added and charged without the need for a handling charge. Colissimo want €21 to add VAT to your bill that has to be wrong when you buy something in a shop VAT is added at the point of sale... they don't charge you for adding it!:mad:

I really have no problem at all with the VAT charges what I do not like is the high rate the carriers charge for their handling of the VAT charge. Lets be clear when you buy something from a shop the VAT is added and charged without the need for a handling charge. Colissimo want €21 to add VAT to your bill that has to be wrong when you buy something in a shop VAT is added at the point of sale... they don't charge you for adding it!:mad:
Its daylight robbery but I dont blame them for charging. Ive had to complete VAT returns for years and its a PITA being an unpaid tax collector ...

Back