• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Big Cod

Yes
Found some amazing Belgian beers when I spent a few days in Brussels
Yes they do some really great beers! I brought a few dozen bottles of different Trappist beers back the strongest one was 14% ? You really cannot drink that stuff as beer you have to nurse it or you will be pished in no time... bit like that home brewed barley wine I made :ROFLMAO:
Funny thing is, for me anyway, is that if you can find a pub that knows about keeping beer then there is nothing to beat a good pint of British best Bitter beer its is great for flavour and you can drink a decent amount of it. One of my favs is Deuchars IPA great session beer that but there are so many to choose from these days. I also particularly liked Yorkshire beers because you always got a really nice creamy head on yer pint unlike say down the west country where I found the beer tasted ok but had the appearance of old tea , very of putting for me.

Yes

Yes they do some really great beers! I brought a few dozen bottles of different Trappist beers back the strongest one was 14% ? You really cannot drink that stuff as beer you have to nurse it or you will be pished in no time... bit like that home brewed barley wine I made :ROFLMAO:
Funny thing is, for me anyway, is that if you can find a pub that knows about keeping beer then there is nothing to beat a good pint of British best Bitter beer its is great for flavour and you can drink a decent amount of it. One of my favs is Deuchars IPA great session beer that but there are so many to choose from these days. I also particularly liked Yorkshire beers because you always got a really nice creamy head on yer pint unlike say down the west country where I found the beer tasted ok but had the appearance of old tea , very of putting for me.
What are Trappist? Monks?

Must admit I’m not a fan of bitters or real ale, don’t really enjoy the taste and each pint feels like a small meal to me.

Lager mostly for me, but found some good Belgian lagers there and also some nice white beers. Hoegarden (spell?) isn’t bad but there were better ones at the source.

What are Trappist? Monks?

Must admit I’m not a fan of bitters or real ale, don’t really enjoy the taste and each pint feels like a small meal to me.

Lager mostly for me, but found some good Belgian lagers there and also some nice white beers. Hoegarden (spell?) isn’t bad but there were better ones at the source.

Yes Trappist beers were originally made by monks and are normally more like a wine strength than a beer.

Yes

Hahaha! Just can't find any Yorkshire Ale that I like - I've been told it is because of the water they use! That John Smiths is disgusting stuff! I can't think of many decent Devon Ales apart from Jail Ale from the Dartmoor brewery, but there are some fine ales in Cornwall from Sharps & St Austell breweries. If you want a creamy head, Caffreys takes some beating!

Hahaha! Just can't find any Yorkshire Ale that I like - I've been told it is because of the water they use! That John Smiths is disgusting stuff! I can't think of many decent Devon Ales apart from Jail Ale from the Dartmoor brewery, but there are some fine ales in Cornwall from Sharps & St Austell breweries. If you want a creamy head, Caffreys takes some beating!

It is the water and that is why the beers in Yorkshire are so good a lovely soft water makes a lovey drop of bitter beer who could not knock back a good pint of Tetly's , Masham or some of the other old Yorkshire names. Edinburgh is ,or was , renowned for its lovely soft water and it is no coincidence that at one time in the very heart of Edinburgh there were 35 breweries ! Because of natural springs for water supply.
Sorry but Caffreys is shite don't take offence though :ROFLMAO: But the number of real beers available in the UK is staggering... pun defo intended... just don't serve me beer that looks as though its been lying out over night:ROFLMAO: Like everything in British life we are the first to knock ourselves by saying some other county does it better... yes there are some decent foreign beers but there are also so very good British beers that I would take every time over some of the beers sold in Europe.

Back