• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Boat kit - rod/reel/braid matching - what works

Petroni

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Just got my three sons and two grandsons (7&10) started this weekend in a regular boat charter out of Poole but used the boat hire stuff which I won't do again (it worked but was grotty). I am looking at buying a single boat rod and reel for each of us (6) to pool for next trip. I am looking at a couple of the Ugly stik spinners plus four 12-20lb class rods and maybe 1 or 2 20-30lbs (happy to review this approach). Question is, what reel/s and braid would I need? Last time I was boat fishing, braid wasn't 'a thing' so I am well out of my depth here. Thanks in anticipation all.

I use fathom lever drags on both my shakey boat rods! Excellent combination. And I use power pro and spectra on the reels. If your filling that many reels I’d go with the spectra all day long!!!
This combo has been tested well around the U.K. and Norway

Ollie has the right of it but tbh I don’t think boat braid has to be particularly special.
I usually go with Spider Wire just because it’s usually cheaper.
I have heard people complaining about it but I can’t say I’ve ever had any problems with it.

Last edited:
Ollie has the right of it but tbh I don’t think boat braid has to be particularly special.
I usually go with Spider Wire just because it’s usually cheaper.
I have heard people complaining aboytbit but I can’t say I’ve ever had any problems with it.
Surely it can’t be cheaper than spectra direct from the chinks?

Surely it can’t be cheaper than spectre direct from the chinks?
Oh no, probably not, it’s just what I pick from the local shop or Veals usually.

Cheap Chinky is even better but I tend to forget about braid until a few days before I need it ??‍♂️

I use a 4ft ugly stick kayak rod 10 _15lb class and an okuma classic with a level wind loaded with 70lb braid. Its great fun playing the fish up rather than just winching them with a 50lb class rod and it's nice and light can jig with it all day without getting tired. I use 70lb braid because most the hokkis and day lights are on 50lb mono so if I get snagged the mono breaks rather than lose the braid. I've had ling to 22lb and cod to 17lb on it.

Thanks all. What rating braid would you suggest Ollie? They will of course want to try anything and everything next outing and wrecks are on the 'to do' list but assuming we are not talking mega species, am I looking at around 30lbs as a general all rounder or something very different?

Yes the 30lb will be fine, the spectra/agepoch or whatever it’s called atm comes up a little bigger than the more expensive braids

Some good advice above. I've been using the ebay spectra depth finder with that handy colour change every 10m for quite some time. I also have a few reels with 8x JBraid for uptiding - it's better quality, smoother etc but then it should be as it's more expensive, 8 strand etc. The wrecks and fish don't care. I primarily use Penn mk1 525 and 535 reels because that's what I've had for a long time and if it ain't broke etc. You haven't mentioned rods but the Rovex Integra Gold are excellent value for beginners at around £30 each and being ugly stick clones the blanks can take a beating on rails, bending at odd angles etc even if the guides are cheapo chippo's. Enjoy it and well done for introducing some newcomers to the game (y)

Thanks all. What rating braid would you suggest Ollie? They will of course want to try anything and everything next outing and wrecks are on the 'to do' list but assuming we are not talking mega species, am I looking at around 30lbs as a general all rounder or something very different?
Yep as Ollie says, 30 is fine.

I only use 40 in Norway ??‍♂️

Last edited:
What sort of reels did you use and do you or anyone have a preference to fixed spool or multi?
Also, what sort of budget are you looking at per setup?
It may be worth considering getting a couple of smaller rods (kayak rods as mentioned above) for the younger ones as they'll have abit more leverage against a fish compared to a longer boat or uptide rod and will find it easier if wrecking with any sort of weight.

What sort of reels did you use and do you or anyone have a preference to fixed spool or multi?
Also, what sort of budget are you looking at per setup?
It may be worth considering getting a couple of smaller rods (kayak rods as mentioned above) for the younger ones as they'll have abit more leverage against a fish compared to a longer boat or uptide rod and will find it easier if wrecking with any sort of weight.
We used some extremely basic Diawa multis (hire rods/reels). I have 10-15 old fixed spools kicking around from river/beach/pier days but don't intent using any. My aim is uniformity if possible. Probably go for Penn Fathom 15 or 30s (lever drag types) on a mix of 6-12lb (x2) and 12-20lb (x4) Ugly Stixs all loaded with 30lb braid (brand yet to be decided). I might add a couple more rods after the next trip or two as we learn personal preferences and see where the boat takes us. That way, if the youngsters drop out, I'll have a little variety of kit that the remaining four adults can work with and one or more of us can fish more than one rod. This is currently more social than purist. I don't want to put the family off by making it needlessly complicated or focused too much on kit and fish but more on laughter and ham rolls in the sun with some memories and photos along the way. Budget isn't an issue but I know the value of a quid and try not to waste them. I do often chant "buy the best you can afford" to my sons if that helps. I had not considered the shorter rods but I see where you are thinking. The seven year old is built like a tall concrete outhouse so I suspect he would outlast me on a heavy lift!

The 7 year old caught and bought up a Tope of much similar size but once it was in the boat he was "erm, anyone here gonna deal with this". So funny but alas no video.
I’m like that with ragwom, no way am I touching them, they have tee

Once your grand kids get into the fish I bet they get hooked. Like my 9 year old boy is..

As has already been said it’s great getting the kids out there fishing, better than catching yourself

We used some extremely basic Diawa multis (hire rods/reels). I have 10-15 old fixed spools kicking around from river/beach/pier days but don't intent using any. My aim is uniformity if possible. Probably go for Penn Fathom 15 or 30s (lever drag types) on a mix of 6-12lb (x2) and 12-20lb (x4) Ugly Stixs all loaded with 30lb braid (brand yet to be decided). I might add a couple more rods after the next trip or two as we learn personal preferences and see where the boat takes us. That way, if the youngsters drop out, I'll have a little variety of kit that the remaining four adults can work with and one or more of us can fish more than one rod. This is currently more social than purist. I don't want to put the family off by making it needlessly complicated or focused too much on kit and fish but more on laughter and ham rolls in the sun with some memories and photos along the way. Budget isn't an issue but I know the value of a quid and try not to waste them. I do often chant "buy the best you can afford" to my sons if that helps. I had not considered the shorter rods but I see where you are thinking. The seven year old is built like a tall concrete outhouse so I suspect he would outlast me on a heavy lift!
That sounds a good plan right there. It wont break the bank and the kit should be pretty indestructible.
Braid wise, I've only really used the cheap Chinese stuff and spiderwire, the Chinese stuff is alot thicker than spiderwire for the stated breaking strain, alot thicker! And also doesn't seem as smooth through the rings as spiderwire either but is about 1/3 of the price.....

You may need a shorter rod for the youngest kids but if he’s big enough to handle a full size or nearly, better to start them on decent gear rather than some pissant rod n reel that isn’t really up to it and is completely redundant in a year or two. Imo.

I've got 3 brand new Penn Regiment(not Mk2) boat rods in heavy duty cordura tubes that I'm never gonna use, if you're interested. I bought them and then a few days later saw the Penn Battalion boat rods on offer so I bought 3 of those as well.

The Regiment rods are the American spec version; 8'4" 12-20lb, 8' 18-30lb, 7'9" 25-40lb. I'm just about to put an advert on here and Gumtree for them.

Back