• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Booms

spiderfur

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi all. Maybe someone can help me out here. As you know ( or not ) I am getting back to beach fishing after a long lay off. Now, being a creature of habit I tend to use the same rig for where I fish which is sandy and relatively snag free using a two hook clipped down rig.
I have been catching sizable sole and school bass on size one aberdeens plus other assorted species, nothing big enough to shout about.
Recently I have thought about using booms but can't see in my limited experience what benefit they would be.
Any thoughts troops?

IMO I don’t think they would make any difference, since your current rig is working well for you.

We sometimes use short snood boom rigs for sole fishing very close in (seems to work), but they don’t need to be cast very far.

IMO I don’t think they would make any difference, since your current rig is working well for you.

We sometimes use short snood boom rigs for sole fishing very close in (seems to work), but they don’t need to be cast very far.
Thanks Meeester Feeesh, it's as I thought

I use a 2 hook clipped down rig arrangement quite a bit too, especially when general fishing or “prospecting” and I can’t see how a boom would make much difference to be honest mate, you could then incorporate a shorter hooklink and boom, they could help stand the link off the rig body, but I wouldn’t make many changes if it’s already working buddy.

I use a 2 hook clipped down rig arrangement quite a bit too, especially when general fishing or “prospecting” and I can’t see how a boom would make much difference to be honest mate, you could then incorporate a shorter hooklink and boom, they could help stand the link off the rig body, but I wouldn’t make many changes if it’s already working buddy.
Cheers I think you're right. Thanks for your input ?

Hi all. Maybe someone can help me out here. As you know ( or not ) I am getting back to beach fishing after a long lay off. Now, being a creature of habit I tend to use the same rig for where I fish which is sandy and relatively snag free using a two hook clipped down rig.
I have been catching sizable sole and school bass on size one aberdeens plus other assorted species, nothing big enough to shout about.
Recently I have thought about using booms but can't see in my limited experience what benefit they would be.
Any thoughts troops?
Have a google of loop rigs mate my go to rig for scratching mate

I find boom rigs handy for very close range sole fishing.
Metal booms, 6inch snood, size 6 hook and a 1/2oz drilled bullet lead on the top of the rig.
Flick it out and keep the rod tip low and the line slack.
Use a plain lead and let it move around.

Back