• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Braid on a multi.

Ianpick

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I bought a 250m roll of 25lb braid yesterday.
At £15 it was the cheapest brand on the wall.

I'm going to load 2 reels with it but got to thinking about how much to put on them.

I'll be using it downtiding in, on average, 50 feet of water.

Given that 50' is 17 yards is there any point in putting more than, let's say, 30 yards on the spool.
This would take care of any deeper water and allow the braid to lie on braid when fishing.

I see little point in loading 125 yards on for 100 yards of it to never leave the spool.
30 yards would give me 8 fills and refills.

BTW I'm not a cheapskate!

Ian
I think you will need more than 30 yards as you will need to allow for removing lengths that are nearer the hook end which gets damaged. If you are fishing rough areas or where lots of weed / anenoeme growth. Also where gets tangled on other lines (rubbing), outboard under boat etc. I take 3 or so yards off every now & again even though I use a nylon shock leader.

Also there is the angle of the line going into the water down to the bottom. With anchoring you should allow 3 x depth for your anchor rope so I apply a similar principle.

I am sure you do this anyway but put backing on the braid onto the reel as it cuts tight into the spool. Also fills out the reel for better casting / rewind.

Hope this helps.

As Coxy said, plus there is always the chance of hooking something decent, and the Fish making a run for it. I wouldn't put less than 100m on any reel. I'd split the 250m equally between the two reels, with some backing.

Thanks.
125yds on each allowing for abrasion etc then reel spool as an when necessary.
Much the same as putting less line on but allowing for some margin when in deeper water, big fish big run etc.
Probably easier in the end as well with less effort as the line is there already.

As Coxy said, plus there is always the chance of hooking something decent, and the Fish making a run for it. I wouldn't put less than 100m on any reel. I'd split the 250m equally between the two reels, with some backing.
This exactly. And a mono shock/rubbing leader, about two to three lengths of the rod, don’t need a lot.
Basically so once you’ve got a fish at the surface you’ve got a few turns of leader on the reel. For one thing you know then you’ve got the fish on a strong leader so it ain’t going anywhere and for another, much easier to grab a thick mono line than braid, as well as protect against any abrasion at the sharp end.

Bit off topic I know but I have 4 spools(2 spare) of 300mts 30lb 8 strand braid that I am thinking of loading onto a pair of Daiwa 7HT Mags.Am I better off using a Mono Tapered Leader or 65lb Power Pro as the leader.Or using the 65lb Power Pro as it is straight through.Any advice would be greatly appreciated,what are your thoughts.

Last edited:
65lb power pro straight through - I've used 80lbs power pro straight through, casts ok, just use a rotten bottom though? ?

Thanks for that Geoff may give it a go.Have a 1500 mtr spool of the Power Pro.(y)
I use it in various strengths for most of my fishing now since Jackjock recommended it to me. Never had any probs at all. Good braid at a fair price I reckon? Just wind it back tight if you're casting hard, use a rotton bottom and a stick or summat to wrap around when breaking out, 'cause I struggle to break the stuff!?

The last of the big spenders!.
Divide it by the number or reels you have ..... I am guessing 2????
Then go mad and put 125m on each!.
Yep thats a whole 7.50 worth and reverse it from one reel to the other when it looks shabby.....
Thats 3.25 a pop!
You never know you may get a fish that wants to run! or you may even go somewhere with an astonishing depth of maybe 90ft...... imagine the excitement!!!.

Back