• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Braid straight through ?

Depends on the breaking strain of the main line,I use 60lb straight through on the rough, but on beaches I use 30lb with a 60 lb leader, All braid. The braid I use is not particularly thin though, some of the modern braids are really thin for the BS but I would not go down that route myself, especially on the rough where abrasion is the main problem.

Dave

I use 50lb straight through when targeting bigger fish and 20lb straight through on clean beach’s , using contental rods using 4oz on the 20lb and 4/5/6 oz on the 50lb , never snapped one off yet , not pendulum casting mind , just over head

Hi much depends on the type and quality of braid!
Some of those cheaper or not so brands are 4 strand loosely woven often not round either that is a about as abrasion resistant as tissue paper!
Many of the China brand like Agepooch are far better we use the 4 strand stuff for leaders mine are 80lb for general FS use on likes of Dynamis rods around 5oz work with either Shimano Teriyaki! braid under .30 or Daiwa J braid grand in like wise so keep advantage of the thinness but both rated around 40/50lb.
100lb for Multiplier use with mono ties a small knot it's very abrasion resistant tough as ole boots!
Also have some Power Pro 40kg for leaders on some FS's which is saying .41! been good casts well through rings no issues

If use braid for main line that is too heavy you'll find the tide will catch it dragging you more into snags.
I fished Dover Admiralty with the 100lb leader long enough to get turns on reel before gear was out of water so could hold anything on hooks but found tide flow held it to bottom tighter than ticks on a dogs rear end!
Dia for dia braid will always catch more flow than mono as mono is in name mono one element while braid is made up of strands.

Remember also and reason why we use 100lb is braid has no stretch so 60lb is if casting hard with 5oz even pretty close to likes of firing the lead along the beach etc!

I have a reel with braid on (probably 20lb) only a cheap variety loaded it my self and after two long casts ended up a right knot.
Unwound it an reeled back in with some tension on it.
Fitted snap link of some type to braid to fit lures to.
Next time i used i was fishing off my dinghy and hooked a bouy rope i reeled in against the tide and with slight power on engine but when close to lure stopped engine and pulled with reel the lure being new the hook went through the rope and only broke the line on the knot as i was yanking and twisting the lure with the weight of boat behind.
If i would have had a leader on i reckon would have snapped the first pull when fouled.

How do you guys live with the ‘nodding dog’ syndrome?
It does my absolute nut in, can’t be dealing with the rod tip knocking constantly and twitching to every crab fart.

Each to be their own, but mostly with mono it sits nice and still and I’ve got a pretty good idea what’s biting when the tips moves.
Braid I have no clue, and I don’t need a pouting bite to look like a bass or smoothie.
I suppose it’s what you get used to, but I much prefer the fishing experience with mono.

Although I will use braid sometimes, not completely given up on it.

As i had a bit of failure with it, i bought a reel already loaded with braid (again not a dear one) to use last year but never got the chance to use it.
Will have to try this year spinning or lure see how it goes.

agree with mr fish above and also find the lead 'trips' out of place using heavy leads n baits at range but depends on the mark..
love braid for light bassing with a carp rod ,fixed spool 20lbs braid straight through and wandering about travel light with a 2oz lead and bucket of lug/crab great way to fish
most the time mono better though imo

agree with mr fish above and also find the lead 'trips' out of place using heavy leads n baits at range but depends on the mark..
love braid for light bassing with a carp rod ,fixed spool 20lbs braid straight through and wandering about travel light with a 2oz lead and bucket of lug/crab great way to fish
most the time mono better though imo
I would only straight through use with lures.
If fishing with bait i have a leader on the one i had in a twist as where i use that its only going about 30yds out with underarm cast.

You get used to it, weed/tide look very different to a bite so I don't find it an issue.

I did dislike the nodding at first, but now it's my way of knowing everything that's going on between sinker and my rod. I do use mono on multis now and again, I am fortunate to enjoy using both.

But when a job needs doing, braid is always the first port of call!

You get used to it, weed/tide look very different to a bite so I don't find it an issue.

I did dislike the nodding at first, but now it's my way of knowing everything that's going on between sinker and my rod. I do use mono on multis now and again, I am fortunate to enjoy using both.

But when a job needs doing, braid is always the first port of call!
I endured it for a session and was driving me nuts, was on the verge of packing the rod away ?

It was a mistake on my part, as my multi had braid on it from a boat trip and completely forgot it was on there.
And was fishing a shallow sandy beach so every little wave made it nod.

Personally I don’t want my rod tip to move unless I get a bite, lol

I endured it for a session and was driving me nuts, was on the verge of packing the rod away ?

It was a mistake on my part, as my multi had braid on it from a boat trip and completely forgot it was on there.
And was fishing a shallow sandy beach so every little wave made it nod.

Personally I don’t want my rod tip to move unless I get a bite, lol
My rod will bend and move continually on the incoming tide and sometimes when weight is dragged with mono on when fishing in picture in avatar, but would love to see more bite action on the end ;) ;)

My rod will bend and move continually on the incoming tide and sometimes when weight is dragged with mono on when fishing in picture in avatar, but would love to see more bite action on the end ;) ;)
Well yes, they bend and move with the tide but the nodding and tapping with braid does me swede in...

Saratoga 60lb straight through for rough ground ,,20lb/30lb nanofil with 60lb braid leader for cleanish ground and nanofil again on my lure reels. I only use mono now if I am targeting sewin or floatfishing for mullet

Back