• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Braid straight through ?

28 lb spider wire and 80 lb braid leader is my go to I find fishing with mono strange now But it’s marmite my mate had a go with braid last week and hated it where as I love it ?

You raking it in ma bute being able to afford Spider Wire.Pension wont stretch that far unless I order from China and have to wait 6 weeks for delivery.Mind you I'm going nowhere at the moment. ?
Am atm mate works gone nuts ? people spending on Extention’s drives and patios rather than holidays booked till June 2022 now so the odd spool of spiderwire ain’t gonna hurt it’s when she finds out about the two gbfs I just bought I might get in trouble ???

Braid straight through on FS bait runner reels on a continental type rod and bass rod. I mainly fish clean sandy beaches and use pyramid leads which does mean the rod tops move around with the tide and currents . Don't mind it now and I know when I get a proper fish bite.

Hope you don't mind me asking but which Baitrunners are you using.I've got Shimano 8000 and 10000 Superbaitrunners but never thought of using them on the beach.
I have the shimano oceanic 6000 and 8000 models which are designed for salt water. Like the adjustabilty ( made up word :unsure:)of the bait runner system as I can tighten it up to cope with the lead movement .
I do look after the reels , by washing them down with fresh water EVERY time I use them and take the spools off and loosen the the bait runner right off to ease pressure on the washer. They weren't cheap and I intend they should outlive my active fishing life .

Having struggled today with weed jamming my tapered leader knot in the top eye of my continental rod, I did some searching online and found some recommend braid straight through to address this issue. I'm fishing cleanish ground and using a fixed spool, so no power casting. What strength braid would be appropriate and can anyone recommend brands?

Obviously don't want it to cost a fortune to spool a reel to give it a try.

I have used braid extensively for coarse fishing and love using it ,so am interested to give it a try in the sea.

How do you guys live with the ‘nodding dog’ syndrome?
It does my absolute nut in, can’t be dealing with the rod tip knocking constantly and twitching to every crab fart.

Each to be their own, but mostly with mono it sits nice and still and I’ve got a pretty good idea what’s biting when the tips moves.
Braid I have no clue, and I don’t need a pouting bite to look like a bass or smoothie.
I suppose it’s what you get used to, but I much prefer the fishing experience with mono.

Although I will use braid sometimes, not completely given up on it.
Well a lot down to rod tip and how position rod

Well a lot down to rod tip and how position rod
Could well be mate. I’ve noticed contis are quite forgiving of braid movement, for example.
Whereas my ‘normal’ beachcasters probably aren’t.

Plus the one time I used braid on a multi off the shore I was fishing fairly close in on a shallow beach, so every little wave nodded the rod.

Could well be mate. I’ve noticed contis are quite forgiving of braid movement, for example.
Whereas my ‘normal’ beachcasters probably aren’t.

Plus the one time I used braid on a multi off the shore I was fishing fairly close in on a shallow beach, so every little wave nodded the rod.
One of the reason newer rods have a much suppler tip for braid use ive the MTI 20/40 braid boat Chucker rod which is longer than old stuff so tip flows with action and Glass tipped rods work with braid

One of the reason newer rods have a much suppler tip for braid use ive the MTI 20/40 braid boat Chucker rod which is longer than old stuff so tip flows with action and Glass tipped rods work with braid
Yes tbh I’m not sure what tips are on my beachcasters! I have various...

Im happy to use it on the boat. Most of my boat fishing is with a 12lb or a 20lb Ugly Stik, they do all I need.

Got them before all this silly 12-20 crap came in!

Back