• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

?

What's your favourite I've used quite a few not really found a bad one all done a fair job this is the latest addition to the J-Braid range let's see if it's any better than the rest View attachment 5473
Sunline Siglon x8. Fine, smooth, very reliable, not expensive. Had lots of problems with original J Braid x8. PH

Spiderwire stealth on my beach, rock, boat reels.
Cheap Chinese stuff on my spinning reel.

Bought the Chinese stuff to try braid before buying good stuff, got on well then bought the spiderwire. Not had any reason to try any others so can't really say which is my favourite. But from what I've read and heard people say, I'd be leaning towards the J-braid range next if I decide to change for any reason, seems to have a good reputation.

Always wanted to try braid. but mainly using multi's and seeing and hearing horror stories of it makes me wary :unsure:

what sort of problems did you have?
you mainly use them line's for lure work? used Sufix 832 myself for that part of fishing this is for the heavier side hard ground 58lb first time with this for me
I had problems with J braid when lure fishing - tangles when casting resulting in breakages when trying to clear them. I tried under-loading the reel but this cut casting distance. I've had no problems with Siglon even with the line loaded to the max. I haven't used J braid in heavier breaking strains or on multipliers though. PH

Only use Fixed Spools. Tried Braid - one reel used on 2 different rods, and wind knots half way between rod tip & end tackle every 2 or 3 casts. Tried reducing the quantity on the spool, tried wetting it before casting, tried allsorts. Couldn't get on with it, so back to around 25Lb mono with 60Lb shock leader. That'll do me.

Only use Fixed Spools. Tried Braid - one reel used on 2 different rods, and wind knots half way between rod tip & end tackle every 2 or 3 casts. Tried reducing the quantity on the spool, tried wetting it before casting, tried allsorts. Couldn't get on with it, so back to around 25Lb mono with 60Lb shock leader. That'll do me.
The only bad experience I have had with any braid, but it happened to be J Braid was on an Abu Cardinal fixed spool that I had in the shed. It wasn't in freshwater use so I thought I would stick some JB8 on it and use it in the sea for lures......wrong!
The reel was fine with nylon but didn't have a good enough line lay to deal with braid so wind knots every second cast, a bit of a nightmare and wasted spool of braid.
By that time I had been using spiderwire on the river on various shimano reels in various b.s. with no problems at all.

Bought a wee shimano aernos and problem gone, better line lay, have JB8 on a Daiwa ninja aswell, no problems there either good line lay.

If your reel doesn't spool braid tight and even to the top of the spool and leaves gaps or light, loose coils of braid you are in for a troublesome time with braid on a fixed spool.

Last edited:
The only bad experience I have had with any braid, but it happened to be J Braid was on an Abu Cardinal fixed spool that I had in the shed. It wasn't in freshwater use so I thought I would stick some JB8 on it and use it in the sea for lures......wrong!
The reel was fine with nylon but didn't have a good enough line lay to deal with braid so wind knots every second cast, a bit of a nightmare and wasted spool of braid.
By that time I had been using spiderwire on the river on various shimano reels in various b.s. with no problems at all.

Bought a wee shimano aernos and problem gone, better line lay, have JB8 on a Daiwa ninja aswell, no problems there either good line lay.

If your reel doesn't spool braid tight and even to the top of the spool and leaves gaps or light, loose coils of braid you are in for a troublesome time with braid on a fixed spool.
If my recently purchased Surfblaster II came with a spare spool, I might be tempted to try that JB8, but not shelling out for another spool just to try it! Asso 26Lb mono will do for me! ??

Whata miştaka to make, unlucky as Abu's are made for mono in general.

I thought braid was for platting hair. ?

Back