• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

West Wales Bream and tope at Aberystwyth

glandyman

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Lovely day out from New Quay , Wales yesterday. Boarded at 8.45am and sailed north for an hour to marks around Aberystwyth. Drifted a patch of broken ground and caught a load of mackerel and some whiting, poor cod, codling and pout. Then on to the next mark nearby which was expected to produce bream and possibly tope. First drop with squid baited feathers produced instant bream bites and within a minute or so I hooked a cracking bream which dropped off when I tried to swing it aboard , bugger. It was the best bream of the day and we had quite a few nudging 2 lb with the best fish coming to a guy using Mossisons razors , he said the only downside was the bream were ripping the soft bait off his hooks. We also had a few greater weavers , very pretty fish, and the odd scad or mackerel. Midday we moved on to a mark which was expected to produce and it did. Nine tope landed, up to 30lb , shared evenly between 8 anglers and several lost due to biteoffs and knot malfunction. Also loads of bull huss and doggies. Cracking boat , skipper and mate and good company from fellow individual anglers. I allowed the skipper to present my fish to camera.

Attachments

• tope.jpg
    tope.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 4
Sounds a decent trip out. About time things went right
Revisiting the Saundersfoot Charter next Thursday , long range weather forecast looks a bit like it was a week ago , bugger. If we have any visibility it will give us a chance to follow the birds for bass but we may not be able to get out on the most productive tope marks. At least there are plenty of mackerel , sometimes we waste too much time finding the buggers. I will pop down to Lawrenny on wednesday to get a few crab for the smoothies

Nice catch & report.
Mate phoned earlier offering out in boat saturday but kids taking me out for meal, so a bit gutted, as always catch a few different species with him

Back