• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Budget Reel

Trampster

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
OK, I know most of you guys like the good gear when it comes to F/S reels like Shimano & Penn, but I can't justify the cost at present. I paid around £60 for a Vertix Dragon 8000 long cast reel to match my Vertix Jack conti rod (which I love) and the bale arm line roller is cack. Very little gap for the shock leader knot to pass through, and I noticed recently that the line roller screw was slack - nip it up tight and it locks the roller solid.

Whilst I don't do a lot of fishing due to health issues, I thought I would treat myself to a Penn Surfblaster, Affinity, or similar. Most places are out of stock, and the prices are creeping up due to Covid19 & availability from China. Same with 2nd hand - found a few decent ones but they are going for £90+. So I've decided to go for another 'cheapish' reel just to 'tide' (!) me over until my health issues hopefully improve and the World returns to some sense of normality.

I'm looking at either an Okuma Big ELC 8000 surf reel (AKA ELC180), or the new Mitchell Blue Water RZ 8000 or 9000. Both are around £30. I know they are cheapies, but I would rather a cheapie for the time being and save for a decent reel, than spend £60 or so again & end up with a pile of cack.
Any thoughts or other ideas? Anyone used either of these?

Last edited:
If you are after cheap, why not have a peak on wish.com
To be honest, a lot of what I have seen on there looks like an exact copy of the branded item and is no doubt off the same production line!
Picked up a fly rod for £40 that is in every way identical to my mates £600 one!

Last edited:
If you are after cheap, why not have a peak on wish.com
To be honest, a lot of what I have seen on there looks like an exact copy of the branded item and is no doubt off the same production line!
Picked up a fly rod for £40 that is in every way identical to my mates £600 one!
Thanks Shirley! Other folks have suggested Wish in the past, but I got my fingers burnt with AliExpress. I had assumed that Wish were China based, as are AliExpress. I bought a cheap pair of shoes from AliExpress that I couldn't find anywhere else, and got stung for £13+ Import duties & handling charges before Royal Mial would deliver, so I've been very wary of these Chinese outlets since. Do you know where your rod was shipped from and did you have to pay any extra?

£20 + £3 pp
I assume it's the same reel.
HTH
Will take a look - Thanks Ian. (y)

EDIT: Not quite - that is the R series which is the old model and wasn't popular, which is why it is cheaper.! The RZ has had some major improvements. Thanks anyway!

ANOTHER EDIT!: They do stock the RZ for £30, but I've seen it for a bit less including free postage. Again, thanks!

Last edited:
Paid around £10 post, no import.
Yes, was from China. Can wait a while for delivery but given how cheap it is, I don't mind.
Have bought lots from China, never had an issue.
Try to keep payment under £50 where possible, then it's not end of world territory if it goes missing.

Paid around £10 post, no import.
Yes, was from China. Can wait a while for delivery but given how cheap it is, I don't mind.
Have bought lots from China, never had an issue.
Try to keep payment under £50 where possible, then it's not end of world territory if it goes missing.
Just had a quick nose on there. The reels are very cheap.

Just had a quick nose on there. The reels are very cheap.
Yep, I've just had a browse too. Annoying that you can't see owt without creating an account. I also found it a bit of a pain in the rear - put in a search for fishing reel or surfcaster and all sorts of Tat comes up! :D :D

Not the greatest of sites I'll admit, but for the money.........

How much use will it see mate? I must admit I treat any FS under £80 or so as a disposable commodity and sometimes cheap is all you need, especially if it’s not out every single week.

And sometimes you can actually be pleasantly surprised by ‘cheap and nasty’

How much use will it see mate? I must admit I treat any FS under £80 or so as a disposable commodity and sometimes cheap is all you need, especially if it’s not out every single week.

And sometimes you can actually be pleasantly surprised by ‘cheap and nasty’
Probably not a lot of use hence cheap will do for now. I've had a word with the guy selling the Okuma & the Mitchell, and the Mitchell wins it, but I need some grip leads, line & other bits. There is a local guy with a Youtube channel who has set up a tackle stall in the local market, and his prices are great. 3oz breakaway leads 90p, 4oz £1.00. So I'm off in there for a browse any minute & going to see if he has any reels too before I make a decision. I must admit I got peed off on Wish earlier because despite puting in a search for a specific type of item, you get so much unrelated Tat to wade through! Mojo went - gave up! Thanks again anyway.

OK, I know most of you guys like the good gear when it comes to F/S reels like Shimano & Penn, but I can't justify the cost at present. I paid around £60 for a Vertix Dragon 8000 long cast reel to match my Vertix Jack conti rod (which I love) and the bale arm line roller is cack. Very little gap for the shock leader knot to pass through, and I noticed recently that the line roller screw was slack - nip it up tight and it locks the roller solid.

Whilst I don't do a lot of fishing due to health issues, I thought I would treat myself to a Penn Surfblaster, Affinity, or similar. Most places are out of stock, and the prices are creeping up due to Covid19 & availability from China. Same with 2nd hand - found a few decent ones but they are going for £90+. So I've decided to go for another 'cheapish' reel just to 'tide' (!) me over until my health issues hopefully improve and the World returns to some sense of normality.

I'm looking at either an Okuma Big ELC 8000 surf reel (AKA ELC180), or the new Mitchell Blue Water RZ 8000 or 9000. Both are around £30. I know they are cheapies, but I would rather a cheapie for the time being and save for a decent reel, than spend £60 or so again & end up with a pile of cack.
Any thoughts or other ideas? Anyone used either of these?
Hi can help you out with an Aerlex XS had bearing conversion £40 also have a Daiwa embelm Jap made version got braid on already just need the rubber ring on spool Works ok not showroom £30 ono prob ably catch you your end friday?

Thanks Tourno - not familiar with either of those! Wossat about Friday - you've lost me there! :unsure::unsure:

I'd get an Aerlex xsb or xtb 10000, can be had on occasion around £60 ish, think usual price is £70.

Or an Okuma Surf 8000.

Back