• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Casting advice

CoarseanglerSteve

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Another newbie advice request if I may guys! (I hope I will get to a point where I can add something to similar threads myself in due course :giggle: ).

Have read/watched a fair bit about casting techniques, and have now upgraded from the cheap beach caster I bought second hand to test whether I would take to sea fishing after a long lay off and a life of coarse fishing.

I have one conti rod and believe that a simple overhead thump, with arms extended, is recommended for such rods, a style I am familiar with from previously carp fishing.

The other rod is a fixed spool AFAW and I see that off the ground casting is recommended by many to gain extra distance. Questions are, is it unwise to try OTG with a conti, due to the finer tip? (have read conflicting advice, both yes and no).

If I try OTG with the other rod, is using grip leads problematic, and, if not, is clipping up with a breakaway impact lead hard work (due to unclipping when laid on the beach)? Have seen some Gemini Solo clips which came to address any such issues. Envisage the lead will be on sand, maybe light shingle and concrete, depending on the mark.

Hoping to get out and practice with the rods over the weekend so any tips would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

I cast OTG with my contis with no problems, but really if you are up to speed with OHT it should in real terms not be far off what you would achieve with an otg, plus you wont have the problems of unclipping if you are using simple clips as opposed to the Geminis . Geminis will stay clipped up OTG , or should do .
There should not be any problems using grip leads OTG on sand or on concrete , some anglers I am informed use a length of plastic drainpipe to put the griplead on for otg on sand or shingle ,it is well documented on various websites and fishing mags but I have never seen anybody use one in a lifetime of beach fishing.

Dont get obsessed with distance, imo it is only a minority of beach anglers that can consistently put baits over 150 yards, its usefull to be able to do it, but most fish are taken inside that distance, not because thats where most anglers cast, but because thats where the fish are . 150 yards is a bloody long way to put a bait.

You sound to be getting to grips so to speak with converting from fresh to salt, I have fished both for a lifetime , and there are crossovers from both sides of the coin, as a fresh to salt angler, things shouldnt be nearly as critical as going the opposite direction.

Dave

Last edited:
I cast OTG with my contis with no problems, but really if you are up to speed with OHT it should in real terms not be far off what you would achieve with an otg, plus you wont have the problems of unclipping if you are using simple clips as opposed to the Geminis . Geminis will stay clipped up OTG , or should do .
There should not be any problems using grip leads OTG on sand or on concrete , some anglers I am informed use a length of plastic drainpipe to put the griplead on for otg on sand or shingle ,it is well documented on various websites and fishing mags but I have never seen anybody use one in a lifetime of beach fishing.

Dont get obsessed with distance, imo it is only a minority of beach anglers that can consistently put baits over 150 yards, its usefull to be able to do it, but most fish are taken inside that distance, not because thats where most anglers cast, but because thats where the fish are . 150 yards is a bloody long way to put a bait.

You sound to be getting to grips so to speak with converting from fresh to salt, I have fished both for a lifetime , and there are crossovers from both sides of the coin, as a fresh to salt angler, things shouldnt be nearly as critical as going the opposite direction.

Dave
Yea, thanks Dave, appreciated.

I know distance is not king. I suppose I am a bit more concerned if I fish low water, as almost all my (limited) sea fishing to date, has been high water, generally off piers, sea walls, harbours etc. Standing in the surf makes me think I do need a bit more distance, although I know some species do still come in close.

Will give it a go and see how I do casting the new rods. Just back from a walk with the dogs along the sea front, but its still a bit windy so think I will put off a casting session until Monday, ready for a go fishing on Tuesday :)

Questions are, is it unwise to try OTG with a conti, due to the finer tip?
Depends what conti it is, theirs a lot of conti rods out there with thin walls and some snap everyday with anglers over doing things , dont forget when your doing a OTG cast you can put as much power in the cast as if you where doing a pendulum cast .

Surely the safe way is to go by what the casting recommendation is on the rod, eg 4-8oz. Not many rods don't have it, so just go less than it says, as long as it's enough. I reckon you'll have a job snapping a rod, even if you try to, most will become impossible to cast before they break. Of course you'll always get the exception.

As a fairly new angler myself, the best bit of advice I can give you when practicing the OTG cast is not to try too hard and aim high, if I try too hard I pull them left and low.

Just focus on a smooth cast and to finish high, they say 45 degrees, keep your eyes looking up at your imaginary target and that will help.

Oh and if you can find a casting instructor that will help massively. I had 3 hours in total and my otg on a field is pretty good (compared to before the lessons I should say!), add bait, darkness etc and it does vary a lot more when actually fishing. But certainly good enough to put a bait where I can catch fish.

Good luck (y)

Last edited:
As a fairly new angler myself, the best bit of advice I can give you when practicing the OTG cast is not to try too hard and aim high, if I try too hard I pull them left and low.

Just focus on a smooth cast and to finish high, they say 45 degrees, keep your eyes looking up at your imaginary target and that will help.

Oh and if you can find a casting instructor that will help massively. I had 3 hours in total and my otg on a field is pretty good (compared to before the lessons I should say!), add bait, darkness etc and it does vary a lot more when actually fishing. But certainly good enough to put a bait where I can catch fish.

Good luck (y)
Thanks Bacon. Yes, I am looking into a few lessons locally, as I think that would help.

Lessons, lessons and more lessons are the key to good casting.

I have heard it said a thousand times "you don't have to cast that far"
And sometimes that may be true but if you can cast, it opens up more venues and weather conditions that you can fish.

Back