• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Charter boat 10/4/21

Where’s Wally

Reaction score
We’ve been given this date for our latest attempt at hiring a charter, like many it’s been rescheduled 3 or more times.
I’ve just checked the regulations for that date and it states no more than 6 to meet outside from a maximum of two households, so that is already an issue.
The skipper isn’t responding to our requests for clarification and we don’t want to break the law, yet we’ve paid and don’t want to cancel as we’d loose our money.
Of course it may be too windy(doubtful) in which case fine!
But there is conflicting information regarding to outside sports, where say two teams of 11 a side can play.
Does anyone have any other pointers as to clarification please?

We’ve been given this date for our latest attempt at hiring a charter, like many it’s been rescheduled 3 or more times.
I’ve just checked the regulations for that date and it states no more than 6 to meet outside from a maximum of two households, so that is already an issue.
The skipper isn’t responding to our requests for clarification and we don’t want to break the law, yet we’ve paid and don’t want to cancel as we’d loose our money.
But there is conflicting information regarding to outside sports, where say two teams of 11 a side can play.
I think you are correct with a max of two households plus skipper. There are some skippers stretching this but , apart from breaking the law, I would be concerned that the boat insurance would be voided.

Current rules are that you can have six people from 6 different households together as long as it is outside, or more than six as long as they are from a maximum of 2 households.

So, as Dicky says above, you can have six people fishing on one boat, plus the Skipper, and a mate (if he has one) because they are classed as being at work.

These restrictions are current and will not change on 12th April either.

I am a charter skipper - our boats can fish 8 anglers comfortably. Licenced for 12 people including crew. Until 17 May rules come into force we are operating 5 fishing plus skipper = rule of 6. We had thought of the "work place " stuff but felt it was pushing it given the time we spend on the deck with the crew even though the Offshore 105s have plenty of fishing space.

We are not giving scope for 2 households etc which is open to abuse. I know a fellow charter skipper is doing the same out of Eastbourne

From 17th May rules - we will see what is said but the feeling is that we can increase the number on deck.

Hope this does'nt add to the confusion.

I am a charter skipper - our boats can fish 8 anglers comfortably. Licenced for 12 people including crew. Until 17 May rules come into force we are operating 5 fishing plus skipper = rule of 6. We had thought of the "work place " stuff but felt it was pushing it given the time we spend on the deck with the crew even though the Offshore 105s have plenty of fishing space.

We are not giving scope for 2 households etc which is open to abuse. I know a fellow charter skipper is doing the same out of Eastbourne

From 17th May rules - we will see what is said but the feeling is that we can increase the number on deck.

Hope this does'nt add to the confusion.
Thanks, I’m pretty sure we’re going to have to wait until the 17th of May as I have been banging on about rule breaking and don’t want to fall foul myself.
cheers.

Why not ask The Angling Trust (they claim to represent all sea anglers) see if you get a definite answer.

We are treating 6 as including the skipper and unless we know the it to be 100% true , we are not applying the 2 households.

Angling Trust https://anglingtrust.net/covid-19/ says :
  • Fishing will remain as a legitimate outdoor recreation or exercise for up to 6 people, or in a larger group if everyone present is from the same two households. A ‘household’ can include the support bubble linked to that household [if eligible].
charter boats operating in accordance with Covid precautions should now both be allowed. However, where fishing takes place on a partially enclosed boat (eg with a cabin or lounge area) with the exception of the skipper, those outside the household support bubble must not go indoors (except for access to/use of the toilet).

We are treating 6 as including the skipper and unless we know the it to be 100% true , we are not applying the 2 households.

• Fishing will remain as a legitimate outdoor recreation or exercise for up to 6 people, or in a larger group if everyone present is from the same two households. A ‘household’ can include the support bubble linked to that household [if eligible].
charter boats operating in accordance with Covid precautions should now both be allowed. However, where fishing takes place on a partially enclosed boat (eg with a cabin or lounge area) with the exception of the skipper, those outside the household support bubble must not go indoors (except for access to/use of the toilet).
Very concise, thank you.

I think every rule i have read is two households, unless you can show me different.

A lot of people interpret different things and think they are right.

Edit;

From 12th April off Gov . com normally only England on there.

Meeting friends and family outdoors (rule of 6)​

You can meet up outdoors with friends and family you do not live with, either:

• in a group of up to 6 from any number of households (children of all ages count towards the limit of 6)
  • in a group of any size from up to two households (each household can include an existing support bubble, if eligible)

If you’re in a support bubble​

If you are eligible to form a support bubble, you and your support bubble count as one household towards the limit of 2 households when meeting others outdoors. This means, for example, that you and your support bubble can meet with another household, even if the group is more than 6 people.

Where you can meet​

You can meet in a group of 6 or a larger group of any size from up to 2 households (including their support bubbles) outdoors. This includes private outdoor spaces, such as gardens, and other outdoor public places and venues that remain open. These include the following:

• parks, beaches, countryside accessible to the public, forests
  • public and botanical gardens
  • the grounds of a heritage site
  • outdoor sculpture parks
  • allotments
  • public playgrounds
  • outdoor sports venues and facilities

Last edited:
I think every rule i have read is two households, unless you can show me different.

Edit;

• in a group of up to 6 from any number of households (children of all ages count towards the limit of 6)
  • in a group of any size from up to two households (each household can include an existing support bubble, if eligible)

If you are eligible to form a support bubble, you and your support bubble count as one household towards the limit of 2 households when meeting others outdoors. This means, for example, that you and your support bubble can meet with another household, even if the group is more than 6 people.

Where you can meet​

You can meet in a group of 6 or a larger group of any size from up to 2 households (including their support bubbles) outdoors. This includes private outdoor spaces, such as gardens, and other outdoor public places and venues that remain open. These include the following:

• allotments
  • public playgrounds
Yes I think that is gospel.
We’re going late May now, hopefully it’ll be fine by then, if not, then it’s another rebooking.
But what the hell, we’re still alive and well and fishing can wait!

Edit;

Where you can meet​

• allotments
  • public playgrounds
The Royal Yatch Assoc replied to my query and basically said the same as Coxy , max of 6 including skipper at present.

The Royal Yatch Assoc replied to my query and basically said the same as Coxy , max of 6 including skipper at present.
Both must differ at present from Gov advice then.

The main man checked with the marine insurance company to make sure that our policy of 6 including skipper was compliant & covered. It is.

As mentioned we are just keeping it simple & they tend to be regular fishing groups who we know. The last thing we want is 2 "households" turning up so more than 6 , only to find that they are not really. You can imagine all the possible unpleasant scenarios.

That said the weather has made it a bit academic- it will be nice to get out. Bream & hounds showing up with the commercials.

Back