• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Chum Or Not To Chum

Yep, we were back to back on the rock fending them off with gaffs and throwing grip leads at them ?
My lord has been in his tackle fiddling man cave to gind an answer to save the plant form such bone chilling events , other wise my job as starter knob will be to eat them ?????

My lord has been in his tackle fiddling man cave to gind an answer to save the plant form such bone chilling events , other wise my job as starter knob will be to eat them ?????
Methinks some sort of ballistae is just the ticket but I must improve it to fire more than 10 bolts a minute.

There is perhaps also wider application for clearing busy beaches and the seas of jet skis during the summer months ?

Methinks some sort of ballistae is just the ticket but I must improve it to fire more than 10 bolts a minute.

There is perhaps also wider application for clearing busy beaches and the seas of jet skis during the summer months ?
I am quite sure you would have great delight and satisfaction , in the reaction to beaches being cleared on mass, more so the events that would unfold to the distraction of jet skies on the move .
Q .........007 theme tune

Last edited:
I am quite sure you would have great delight and satisfaction , in the reaction to beaches being cleared on mass, more do the events that would unfold to the distraction of jet skies on the move .
Q .........007 theme tune
Or the theme from Mission Impossible!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Definitely works for mullet and gar fish. Used it a lot in Guernsey for the gars , locals call their special mix "shrivey " or something similar . Many years ago fished a WSF Wales v England " friendly " fund raiser match on Chesil . Team England decided to concentrate on the gars as it was decided on overall length . Much to my wife's displeasure I made up a huge batch of really smelly chum with plenty of added fish oil . This worked really well and we were catching loads until the wind and currents started to move the slick down the beach to where most of the Welsh lads were :confused:
I remember one of the lads who worked in our local tackle shop many years ago was determined to catch a decent tope from the shore from our local surf beach. His tactics were to bury loads of really smelly old fish in the sand at low water , at the same time he placed his large mackerel bait on a board placed over the buried ground bait , which he fixed in place with some really light line . As the tide flooded he moved back up the beach for several hundred yards, Bristol Channel mark so huge rise and fall . Was using a very large fixed spool reel with nearly 300 mtrs of line . As far as I know he never did catch a tope but it was an interesting exercise. I do know he caught plenty of decent bass on the other rods he used for normal fishing at the same time .

Always worth a shot with a surface slickied just to bring small fish into the vicinity and lure fish over the top for the inevitable predators which are drawn and held by the smaller stuff. I've tried sinking ground baits off rock marks and ended up with a spider fest or dogs. Fishing for mullet I have had bass, pollack smelt and even a flounder on one occasion taking just bread

Definitely works for mullet and gar fish. Used it a lot in Guernsey for the gars , locals call their special mix "shrivey " or something similar . Many years ago fished a WSF Wales v England " friendly " fund raiser match on Chesil . Team England decided to concentrate on the gars as it was decided on overall length . Much to my wife's displeasure I made up a huge batch of really smelly chum with plenty of added fish oil . This worked really well and we were catching loads until the wind and currents started to move the slick down the beach to where most of the Welsh lads were :confused:
I remember one of the lads who worked in our local tackle shop many years ago was determined to catch a decent tope from the shore from our local surf beach. His tactics were to bury loads of really smelly old fish in the sand at low water , at the same time he placed his large mackerel bait on a board placed over the buried ground bait , which he fixed in place with some really light line . As the tide flooded he moved back up the beach for several hundred yards, Bristol Channel mark so huge rise and fall . Was using a very large fixed spool reel with nearly 300 mtrs of line . As far as I know he never did catch a tope but it was an interesting exercise. I do know he caught plenty of decent bass on the other rods he used for normal fishing at the same time .
That sounds like awesome fun, England verses Wales. ??? that was not good that the scent went down tide to Welsh guys.

There is a name for the excise that he did, were you cast you bait out as far as poss at low, then walk back as the tide floods

Always worth a shot with a surface slickied just to bring small fish into the vicinity and lure fish over the top for the inevitable predators which are drawn and held by the smaller stuff. I've tried sinking ground baits off rock marks and ended up with a spider fest or dogs. Fishing for mullet I have had bass, pollack smelt and even a flounder on one occasion taking just bread
That's a great idea mate, bringing in the bait fish and lure fishing over them. Natural circle of life

That's a great idea mate, bringing in the bait fish and lure fishing over them. Natural circle of life
It happens coarse fishing all the time. As soon as you get a head of small fish feeding in front of you the pike turn up. You do need some where that provides a bit of cover or safety though or the small fish won't hang around
Any splashing or disturbance will bring bass in. I'm pretty sure a spraying hose would work the same as it does for tuna although I have never tried it

That sounds like awesome fun, England verses Wales. ??? that was not good that the scent went down tide to Welsh guys.

There is a name for the excise that he did, were you cast you bait out as far as poss at low, then walk back as the tide floods
He never cast his bait as he wanted to make sure it was presented really well and no tangles , really big mackerel bait. hence why he used to lay it on a board . Not a great problem with crabs on the beach he fished but the bait was still attacked by loads of really small sea creatures . I remember seeing pictures of the bait when he reeled it in after nearly 6 hours in the water and there wasn't a great deal left .

It happens coarse fishing all the time. As soon as you get a head of small fish feeding in front of you the pike turn up. You do need some where that provides a bit of cover or safety though or the small fish won't hang around
Any splashing or disturbance will bring bass in. I'm pretty sure a spraying hose would work the same as it does for tuna although I have never tried it
Yes noticed with bass, but didn't think to start with the feeding of the small fish, to bring in the minnow munchers.

He never cast his bait as he wanted to make sure it was presented really well and no tangles , really big mackerel bait. hence why he used to lay it on a board . Not a great problem with crabs on the beach he fished but the bait was still attacked by loads of really small sea creatures . I remember seeing pictures of the bait when he reeled it in after nearly 6 hours in the water and there wasn't a great deal left .
Lol, I can imagine the shrimp ect when be having a party under the board, ........ Free board and lodging with fine dining lol

It was a pretty well known tactic on those big Carmarthen bay beaches in the 70's trying for tope. My old man used to do something similar on Amroth but with a line on a home made wooden winder like a hose pipe reel and about 3 dozen smaller baits. He'd fish the tide up normally with a rod but lay this out as well as the tide flooded. Used to be a job then to haul it in with a load of fish on. Plenty of plaice back then along with flounder and gurnards

Off the back of a boat fishing for bream I have had lot of success with a large swim feeder loaded with blended mackerel heads. Brings the fish right to your hook. Generally the bream arrive first followed by dogs and huss. If I was out with mates then I'd chuc some over the side as well so that we could all benefit. Went out on a local charter boat, Aldebaran, with a bunch of touristy types and just used the swim feeder. Had a really good session. The bloke stood next to me caught a few, nobody caught anything. Nearly got into a fight as a couple of them thought I was cheating.
I have also ocasionally put a large ice cream tub with holes punched into it attached to a large rock full of the same stuff but frozen solid with some success. Did it once on a local beach, an empty beach, but half an hour later the local club turned up for a match. They tried to get me to move but I would not budge. I was catching consistently, mostly dogs and whiting but a fish is a fish. The current runs left to right so the man to my right, who was friendly was also catching some, the bloke on my left was tamping as he was not. I quietly told him on the right what I had done and he started hitting the same spot. He was winning the match when I left.

Back