• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Chum Or Not To Chum

Sound good for the mullet mate, do you use that recipe in the estuary or open ocean, reason I ask is I find the added scent of fish brings the crabs in from miles , plain bread they still take but not as bad
I use it in a sea loch, fishing off the side of a fish quay. At that venue it's more about keeping them there than attracting them. Bread as a hook bait, the odd bit thrown in, but I try not to do that too much as it tends to attract gulls.

Pva does not melt in salt water from what read. I can try it for tonight though. But chumming works
The PVA wont melt in any salt solution (y) just pierce the bag a good few times to let the contents ooze out, if your putting fishy baits in first add salt to them to make them PVA friendly and then add some fishy oil of your choice, loads to choose from. I have tried different pellets mixed with krill powder with crab and crayfish oil, i have only tried a couple of times, still experimenting. Its only cus i do alot of carp fishing aswell that i have tried these things (y)

The PVA wont melt in any salt solution (y) just pierce the bag a good few times to let the contents ooze out, if your putting fishy baits in first add salt to them to make them PVA friendly and then add some fishy oil of your choice, loads to choose from. I have tried different pellets mixed with krill powder with crab and crayfish oil, i have only tried a couple of times, still experimenting. Its only cus i do alot of carp fishing aswell that i have tried these things (y)
Sounds interesting, may give it ago for sure. Good point on making the bait pva friendly, wouldn't have thought of that and wondered why it was not working lol

I use it in a sea loch, fishing off the side of a fish quay. At that venue it's more about keeping them there than attracting them. Bread as a hook bait, the odd bit thrown in, but I try not to do that too much as it tends to attract gulls.
The gulls pick up on it very quickly , and the swans and ducks oh and bass, all ecept mullet ? Fussy things

Sounds interesting, may give it ago for sure. Good point on making the bait pva friendly, wouldn't have thought of that and wondered why it was not working lol
I use alot of high scent fishy baits and attractants for the carp fishing aswell so been crossing them over to see what happens (y)

I use alot of high scent fishy baits and attractants for the carp fishing aswell so been crossing them over to see what happens (y)
I have few mates that do arp fishing and was shocked at what you can get to add to your bait.

Back home it was style bread with a bit of flour with water to get the glutons to become sticky and a bit of flavours for cakes and put it on the hook, then we started making our own boilies , that was fun.

Good luck with you experiments mate, going to be very interesting to see what you come up with

I have few mates that do arp fishing and was shocked at what you can get to add to your bait.

Back home it was style bread with a bit of flour with water to get the glutons to become sticky and a bit of flavours for cakes and put it on the hook, then we started making our own boilies , that was fun.

Good luck with you experiments mate, going to be very interesting to see what you come up with
Sea fish will eat bloody anything if its in its path and carp baits have caught a few, not sure my black lug will catch carp but i am going to try at some point. The one lake i fish is full of big black leeches and carp will eat them plus carp love salty baits so black lug could be a killer :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sea fish will eat bloody anything if its in its path and carp baits have caught a few, not sure my black lug will catch carp but i am going to try at some point. The one lake i fish is full of big black leeches and carp will eat them plus carp love salty baits so black lug could be a killer :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Think you you could be onto something there, and why not. I am shock at what fish eat sometimes. All worth a go and would make for on hell of a catch report. ? But seriously it has to work, it will be finding out when and what part of the year they might like it most I am guessing

I bet you have also considered using pellet/boilie baits soaked in flavouring, just as I have Rich. I'd be interested to hear if you have ever tried it.

I don't get to go sea fishing often enough to try out too many things but I have some 22mm drilled halibut pellets that I am going to soak in something and try out next time I go.

Additives are an interesting subject. I don't do any freshwater fishing so never had any dealings with Boilies & pellets etc. A couple of Guys on Youtube were promoting this new Seagoo stuff but not sure if it is any good or not. A mate some years ago brought a load of stuff back from Australia called Glowbait, and he used to swear by it for sea & freshwater fishing. He was the sole UK importer for a while, and I think I've still got a bottle somewhere. It leaves a flourescent trace in the water and smells a bit like Aniseed. It is quite a thin liquid so I've been trying to come up with a way of getting some on a lure. I did think of attaching a small bit of sponge soaked in it but was concerned it may affect the action of the lure. This is the stuff, still on sale in Aus I think:

1604017088623.png

I bet you have also considered using pellet/boilie baits soaked in flavouring, just as I have Rich. I'd be interested to hear if you have ever tried it.

I don't get to go sea fishing often enough to try out too many things but I have some 22mm drilled halibut pellets that I am going to soak in something and try out next time I go.
I have caught mackerel, bream off the boat on 8mm squid boilies, dogfish, dabs off the shore on 10mm krill so far but only tried once off the boat and twice off the shore so still got loads of experimenting. Also proves you dont need big baits to catch fish, JLD taught me that, he would use a quarter of what me and mate were using and still out fish us. I'm not saying you can catch all species with carp baits but time will tell, plus it's so clean to fish with. All have been hooked hair rig style like carp fishing, if your plagued by crabs I guess you could use the pop up versions to keep them off the bottom but not tried that yet as dont get alot of problems with crabs where I fish. Hopefully when I'm allowed back in Wales I will do a report and pictures of how the next experiment goes, I'm pretty sure it will be dogs and Whiting next trip ?

Last edited:
many years ago, before some of the open matches on the south coast ( portchester open etc ) used to dig bait the day before over low water, where we wanted to fish

at the same time, used to dig in buckets of wet and dry dog food, spread pretty much exactly where we were going to fish

marked the area with a cork pike bung on a few m of line tied to / wrapped round a stone on the ground

decent size patch, of ground covered

always stayed the night before on the mark, few beers, smokes just to make sure no one else bagged it

next day, things would undoubably fall into place, just a case of casting in the general vicinity of the float

last chuck of the day would entail, wrapping a 3 hook flapper round the float n line and dragging it in, bingo, no markers anywhere anymore

wouldnt call it cheating, more like a bit of watercraft / prep work :)

that was in the days before the onlaught of poxy spiky silver things in the harbours n creeks, and flounder were pretty much the only target
with some rather spectacular bags possible

many years ago, before some of the open matches on the south coast ( portchester open etc ) used to dig bait the day before over low water, where we wanted to fish

at the same time, used to dig in buckets of wet and dry dog food, spread pretty much exactly where we were going to fish

marked the area with a cork pike bung on a few m of line tied to / wrapped round a stone on the ground

always stayed the night before on the mark, few beers, smokes just to make sure no one else bagged it

next day, things would undoubably fall into place, just a case of casting in the general vicinity of the float

last chuck of the day would entail, wrapping a 3 hook flapper round the float n line and dragging it in, bingo, no markers anywhere anymore

that was in the days before the onlaught of poxy spiky silver things in the harbours n creeks, and flounder were pretty much the only target
Excellent fishing, great idea ??

I have caught mackerel, bream off the boat on 8mm squid boilies, dogfish, dabs off the shore on 10mm krill so far but only tried once off the boat and twice off the shore so still got loads of experimenting. Also proves you dont need big baits to catch fish, JLD taught me that, he would use a quarter of what me and mate were using and still out fish us. I'm saying you can catch all species with carp baits but time will tell, plus it's so clean to fish with. All have been hooked hair rig style like carp fishing, if your plagued by crabs I guess you could use the pop up versions to keep them off the bottom but not tried that yet as dont get alot of problems with crabs where I fish. Hopefully when I'm allowed back in Wales I will do a report and pictures of how the next experiment goes, I'm pretty sure it will be dogs and Whiting next trip ?
Hopefully it won't be long, and look forward to your report mate , be safe

Fantastic ideas there mate, thank you for sharing them

I have caught mackerel, bream off the boat on 8mm squid boilies, dogfish, dabs off the shore on 10mm krill so far but only tried once off the boat and twice off the shore so still got loads of experimenting. Also proves you dont need big baits to catch fish, JLD taught me that, he would use a quarter of what me and mate were using and still out fish us. I'm not saying you can catch all species with carp baits but time will tell, plus it's so clean to fish with. All have been hooked hair rig style like carp fishing, if your plagued by crabs I guess you could use the pop up versions to keep them off the bottom but not tried that yet as dont get alot of problems with crabs where I fish. Hopefully when I'm allowed back in Wales I will do a report and pictures of how the next experiment goes, I'm pretty sure it will be dogs and Whiting next trip ?
If I can get out of my current predicament I intend to try using a maggot rig. Small hooks. See what I can catch off the jetty or in the rough stuff. Been thinking about it for months but not been well enough to put it into action.

If I can get out of my current predicament I intend to try using a maggot rig. Small hooks. See what I can catch off the jetty or in the rough stuff. Been thinking about it for months but not been well enough to put it into action.
Shame mate, really hope you feel better soon so that you can get out there and try some of your ideas

Give me a shout when your ready to go and we can experiment together ?

Back