• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Cogden 4/8/22

dodders

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Another trip to Chesil but this time the other end at Cogden as I was hoping for Plaice and Sole. Makes quite a difference time-wise for me and I was there in less than two hours. The usual parking problems, ie how to pay. I had to download another App – ‘paybyphone’ this time as the machine wasn’t working. Had a quick look round the car park and there were no ‘machine not working notes’ in windscreens, so for peace of mind I thought I had better make the effort
There were about three other anglers on the beach closest to the car park, so I moved on a couple of hundred yards and set up camp to the left . It was now 4pm and low water was at 5pm so I had all the flood to fish.
Cogden.jpg

Threw out a couple of 2 hook loop rigs as far as I could with rag and frozen blacks on size 1 hooks. Fortunately weed was not much of a problem this week.

After a quiet 90 mins has a few pulls on one rod and brought in a double shot of a mini small-eyed ray and a mini smoothound. Couldn’t remember if I had already caught a small eyed for the species hunt (I had !) so took a pic with the card anyway.
Cogden-11-1.jpgCogden-15.jpg

Caught another couple of smoothound pups and saw the chap 100 yds down from me land a plaice, so fingers crossed. I didn’t have to wait long and ended up with 4 plaice in the middle part of the flood.
Cogden-1.jpg

Changed one of the rods over to single size 2/0 hook with sandeel/squid/Mackerel combinations but this remained untouched until I packed up.
Cogden-24.jpg

After dark the pouting and conger moved in with a vengeance, only small with the biggest only about 3lb (Eel, not pout !). One of the pouting had been mauled to death by something, a savage bite and I probably pulled it out of its mouth, probably an eel I guess

Packed up at high water.

Nice mixed hall mate. Great pics as well. (y)

Ian.

Nice report & photos Mick, and a decent few species too. The Plaice looks to be decent size. Well done! ????

Great report, well done on all the species ?

Beach looks quiet. Pout and eels = home time. Had a few of those lately. Nice report and pictures.

Back