• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Confused over tier 4 boating.

TerryW

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
As far as I am aware - you can as long as the journey is reasonable & necessary (checking property is i.e boat). Driving from London to Cornwall may be stretching it. Unless with someone from your own household / bubble, you cannot be inside an enclosed space on a boat and guess social distancing will not be achieved on the deck.

"Advice" "interpretation" by orgs like above and the AT are causing confusion.
Obviously all 4 Countries in the UK may differ.
We in Wales could "check/winterise" our boats/caravans etc prior to the last Government announcements, but that changed and now we have been told that we can not do.

Sorry - I was referring to England in my post as TerryW was posting from there.. Should have clarified as Wales, NI & Scotland have different Covid regimes.

England not in "lock down" yet but I would get your boat sorted & safe before 30 December when Tiers reviewed as we could be following our Welsh friends & neighbours. I know more military reservists are being "called up" in England ready for deployment in 1st 2 weeks of New Year (probably logistics & jabs)

As far as I am aware - you can as long as the journey is reasonable & necessary (checking property is i.e boat). Driving from London to Cornwall may be stretching it. Unless with someone from your own household / bubble, you cannot be inside an enclosed space on a boat and guess social distancing will not be achieved on the deck.
Ignoring non-governmental analysis, and taking my info directly from the government website at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tier-4-...611-e3109cce8eae#sports-and-physical-activity
it seems that you can:

Under "travelling" you can leave your home and area for:
  • outdoor recreation or exercise. This should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel a short distance within your Tier 4 area to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)
How this stacks up with "stay at home", I really don't know. You are either under house arrest or not. Seems a binary thing to me.

The RYA say this for post 20/12/2020 rules:

Ref https://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/clubs/Covid FAQs in England from Dec 2nd 2020.pdf

Can I go boating?
Boating remains permitted as a form of exercise and/or outdoor recreation in all 4 tiers but we continue to urge boaters to take a conservative and considerate approach by complying with the Government’s guidance, particularly at this time of year. Even though boating activity is legally permitted, you should think very carefully about the risks to yourself and others caused by the new variant of the virus. The exemption to the rule of 6 for organised outdoor sports applies in tiers 1, 2 and 3. Informal or self-organised sport is not covered by any exemptions and can only take place within the legal gathering limits applicable to the relevant tier. In tier 4 organised sporting activity is not permitted, except for under-18s and disabled people.

NB This is England only. I am sure that the devolved administrations will have a load to add.

Boating was permitted in the second lockdown and I can see no reason why not to use the boat in tier 4 so I shall be going out fishing later this week.
The RYA advice seems to suggest that you can use the boat but not carry out maintenance.

Therefore, TYHA’s (The Yacht Harbour Assoc) interpretation: is that marina businesses in Tier 4 can remain open as can boatyard operations including lift out, boat repair/refit subject to maintaining all current COVID-19 operating practices.
Local boat owners can access and use their boats on their own or with their household/support bubble.
Boat owners should not travel out of a Tier 4 area to visit or use their boat.

I took mine out of the water just before Tier 3 & tucked it up for the winter. Am in Tier 4.

I'm not too worried, it is what it is, just got to sit tight and wait for it to be over. Love fishing out of where it is so worth the wait ?
The scary thing is they may prolong the Tiers until every person in the country is vaccined. At the current rate that may take us until next Chrimbo. The government, bless their idiotic little minds, aren't really taking vaccination processes very seriously. I bet we can all provide advice as to how to get it done quicker. Now that the Astrazenica (easy transport) version has finally been approved I am expecting motorway service stations to be equipped with vaccine stations, same for football grounds in cities, railway stations, supermarket carparks and anywhere that people can easily get to. However, I am probably dreaming of an efficient country and effective NHS (sorry if I offend NHS staff, I know it isn't their fault that the NHS is third world).

Back