• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Couple a trips in the week.

bananas

Reaction score
Had a couple trips out this week, first was a meet up with John, been ages since we fished together, Beesands was our choice as John was after a Plaice and I didn't mind what I caught, was a chilly breezy start, with bugger all happening during daylight bar feeding the crabs that was liking our baits.
When it was dark I had the first fish, a small Whiting followed by a Dogfish and a bit later a double hit of Pouting, poor old John just had to sit and watch me catch as his rods was motionless all night. We gave it just over an hour into the flood and called it a night, was bloody cold now and was glad to get in the car and the heater on.

Second trip saw me going north, well Burnham on sea , which is well north for me. After a couple a false starts, I got the baits in the water and holding there instead flying along with the current at 3pm, high was around 5.30ish so didn't have long to try and catch some thing, an hour past before a tiny Whiting had managed to get the bait in his gob, thus saving the blank, then dead again right till high water, was sitting on me box texting John about how he has snapped his very expensive spinning reel in two! when the ratchet screamed off, just about to pick the rod up and it stopped, then luckily it screamed off again, struck, felt heavy, was slowly coming in when went and snagged the weight in a mud crevices, slow pull and out it finally came, no fight at all on the way in and I was hoping it wasn't a big lump a weed on the end.
Just in the murky surf, it gave a swish and I saw its tail, then out on to the sand a nice Thornback arrived. after a few pics and me standing proud and pointing at it for no one around to see, got the scales onto him and he went just under 9lb, pleased as punch with that, I took him back in the surf and watched him swim away.
He came on a lump of cart that I had been given months ago and was the first time I've caught on it, think ill be buying some more now.
Gave it a hour of the ebb then called it a day and dragged me muddy bits back to the car.
IMG_20210408_174059.jpg

Good report as always Bob and that is a cracking lump of Thornback. You did well to catch, there seems to be lots of blanking reports just recently.

Had a couple trips out this week, first was a meet up with John, been ages since we fished together, Beesands was our choice as John was after a Plaice and I didn't mind what I caught, was a chilly breezy start, with bugger all happening during daylight bar feeding the crabs that was liking our baits.
When it was dark I had the first fish, a small Whiting followed by a Dogfish and a bit later a double hit of Pouting, poor old John just had to sit and watch me catch as his rods was motionless all night. We gave it just over an hour into the flood and called it a night, was bloody cold now and was glad to get in the car and the heater on.

Second trip saw me going north, well Burnham on sea , which is well north for me. After a couple a false starts, I got the baits in the water and holding there instead flying along with the current at 3pm, high was around 5.30ish so didn't have long to try and catch some thing, an hour past before a tiny Whiting had managed to get the bait in his gob, thus saving the blank, then dead again right till high water, was sitting on me box texting John about how he has snapped his very expensive spinning reel in two! when the ratchet screamed off, just about to pick the rod up and it stopped, then luckily it screamed off again, struck, felt heavy, was slowly coming in when went and snagged the weight in a mud crevices, slow pull and out it finally came, no fight at all on the way in and I was hoping it wasn't a big lump a weed on the end.
Just in the murky surf, it gave a swish and I saw its tail, then out on to the sand a nice Thornback arrived. after a few pics and me standing proud and pointing at it for no one around to see, got the scales onto him and he went just under 9lb, pleased as punch with that, I took him back in the surf and watched him swim away.
He came on a lump of cart that I had been given months ago and was the first time I've caught on it, think ill be buying some more now.
Gave it a hour of the ebb then called it a day and dragged me muddy bits back to the car.
View attachment 8176
Nice report Bob, and well done on the Thorny! ??

Back