• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Crimps or stop knots?

ouchthathurt

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Morning all,
Just came to tie up some rigs and restock my rig winders and I’ve ran out of crimps! It got me thinking, do people prefer crimps to hold swivels/beads up the trace or stop knots? Do crimps weaken the trace body? I’m going to tie up a few with stop knots so I’ve got some traces to fish with, but I’m interested in other peoples thoughts.

Lol don't need stops on any of the rigs I use!!!! Unless I am float fishing.

After fishing the high tide this afternoon with traces secured with stop knots, I remember why I used crimps before... the stop knots all slipped during the session and constantly needed readjusting. Not a massive issue, but irritating! Didn’t catch anything, but it was good to be out.

Neoprene tubing, you’re gonna have to help me here, I’ve not heard of that. Where do you get that?
Cut about 5mm and pass you line through it twice then pull tight and it forms a moveable stop knot. I use a couple either side of the beads and swivel it doesn’t damage the line but can be adjusted with pressure. I use them a lot and very rare have problems with them slipping.

Neoprene tubing for me too. Much quicker than tying stop knots and they don’t come loose like stop knots. Two below and one above is a good idea too.

After fishing the high tide this afternoon with traces secured with stop knots, I remember why I used crimps before... the stop knots all slipped during the session and constantly needed readjusting. Not a massive issue, but irritating! Didn’t catch anything, but it was good to be out.
If you use 22mm power gum as stop knots ,,,4 turn grinner knot on each stop knot ,,, put 2 on they will not move under normal pressure.

Last edited:
As some will know, I don't get out for a dangle as much as I'd like to due to health issues, but I do like experimenting with rigs & components. When it became popular to use crimps, I had my doubts about whether they would damage the line, so tried powergum stop knots & neoprene tubing, both of which work OK. I saw somebody making 3 hook clipped down rigs recently using Breakaway adjustable crimps so decided to give them a try. The little crimp tool works well, you can vary the pressure depending on how tight you want the crimp, and no damage to the rig body. Good kit in my opinion.

Yep tried them, tubing and power gum but came back to telephone wire because you can move and re tighten them over and over again with nothing but your fingers. You can set them to slide under pressure of a good fish so you can make a 'pull to slide' paternoster - handy when handballing fish up a wall, pier, cliff etc or add an extra to doubly lock everything in place, even remove them altogether with the option of putting them back later. Try that with adjusta crimps, normal crimps or powergum! Also you can't get cheaper than free and it's good up cycling

Last edited:
How long are your telephone clips you use please

I take a length of the wire and wind it in touching tiurns on to a length of grip wire. Then chop it into 25mm coils. By the time I've tightened them up on the finished rig body (40-80lb mono) they're about 30mm long and will lock pretty damn tight if you want. Much shorter lengths for bait stops (above a sequin for worm baits or above plaice bling etc)

Back