• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Dabs

hughes66

Reaction score
Now we are getting near to dab time what is your favourite dab bait ,lug/blacks /squid/fish oiled /salted etc thanks in advance

Around here, fish and squid strip will pick them up quite well, although they tend only to be at certain marks.

Black lug works too but I must admit my first choice would probably be a sliver of herring.

But bait preferences vary a great deal in different areas so that’s not necessarily what I’d advise to use, just what works here.

sprat.
Picks out the better sized dabs.

Stinky old worm or strips of herring belly when I fished in Kent, gar seems to get them at Boscombe, not that they are fussy eaters. Salting down old worms firms them up for casting.

Week old blacks, as long as they just about hold together , thats about the time to use em
as shirl says, a tip of sprat or herring belly picks out the better fish

one of , if not the most underated fish in the sea imho :)

gut on beach, take home, stick it whole in a brown paper bag, and 1 minute each side in the microwave
peel off brown paper bag and your left with a beautiful skin free dab, ready for a drop of vinegar n black pepper, n slice of decent brown bread n butter

Week old blacks, as long as they just about hold together , thats about the time to use em

gut on beach, take home, stick it whole in a brown paper bag, and 1 minute each side in the microwave
peel off brown paper bag and your left with a beautiful skin free dab, ready for a drop of vinegar n black pepper, n slice of decent brown bread n butter
Sounds tasty that.

You have got to flour and fry them and eat the skin, it's the best bit apart from that.......

Whats the best rig to use hook size long or short shank
I'm fishing my local rivet mouth with my lure gear
Got some frozen smelly blacks and can tip with fresh cockle as there be plenty there

Whats the best rig to use hook size long or short shank
I'm fishing my local rivet mouth with my lure gear
Got some frozen smelly blacks and can tip with fresh cockle as there be plenty there
Nothing special.
3 hook flapper with size 2 kamazan Aberdeen hooks.
Snoods between 8 and 18" depending on tide.

I remember reading that about microwaving dabs in brown bags method in sea angler years back, most probably an Alan Yates article.

I caught a few a couple of weeks back on black lug, not sure how old it was but it was sticky.

Back